1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

You GOTTA love this one

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Oct 29, 2009.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Earlier this week I got the following email:

Saw your page on the internet….

Have been going to Xxxx Xxxx in Leipsic for many years but he has recently decided to no longer do deer mounts… I’m looking for someone to take his place,,,,I also do some travel for my hunting and will have on occasion Elk or animals that are not East Coast animals…

I’m looking for decent quality work,,,,not museum quality…. How much would you charge for a Whitetail mount…mouth closed,,straight ahead looking ? Thanks very much for your time.

So I answer him with:
    Sir,
    I charge $475 for a full shoulder mount in any position. I have a backlog of about one year as I'm the only person doing full time taxidermy work who does both fish and exotic work including African.

This is the reply I got:
    George,

Thanks for the quick response…. Is there anyone else you could recommend that would be quicker ,,,or just does basic work? Your work is obviously very high end and looks great… I may need that for some ducks I get but for the deer ,,,just looking for the okay job…Thanks.Bob

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

send him to 'OTAYS' taxidermy LOL..... :D

3. mrdux

mrdux Member

You don't have the market cornered on those folks up your way, George.

4. George, If you like , I could pm you w/ the name/number of a guy a couple towns from me. He is doing shoulder mount deer for $300.00 (he just went up) lol , Moose for $650.You get the picture I'm sure.He's great @ keeping cost down,DP,no ear liners, shave the hair that he cant get groomed into place etc. " EXELENT references". ::)

5. Tell him it's an additional charge for special orders. lol

6. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    George i think that was a nice way of that guy telling you that you are priced too high on deerheads. :D

7. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

George, you know everybody picks and chooses what is important to them. What they will spend top dollar on and what can be just "OK". Many of us on here don't get it when someone doesn't appreciate our very best efforts. I'm with you. I also don't get it when a hunter shows up out here from "back east" in a 2010 fully loaded 3/4 ton diesel pickup, spends $4000-$5000 on a hunt but buys the bottom of the line rifle at WalMart with a $49.95 scope that he shot maybe 4 shots through at the range and he's ready. The same guy will come in and look at the pieces in my shop, comment how great they look and much better than down the road, but go back down the road to save $125.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

George:

Direct him to Rasmussen, LOL!!! I think you replied as eloquently as possible to his original message...I would not bother responding to his second request.

9. cwt

cwt Active Member

Very interesting

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Tell him that's all he gets for $475.00, just an "okay" job. ;)

11. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Did you even respond back to him? Please tell us ......I bet your response will be funnier than the question. :D

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

An "okay job"??? ROTFLMAO Oooookay

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No. Joey and I think alike. After that I didn't bother. I don't want his ducks either.

14. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    Yep. X2

15. Disecador

Disecador New Member

I'll do it for $75.........................................Per inch.

16. im in michigan and i know of NOBODY anywhere that will do a deer shoulder mount be it a doe or a buck for under $500

17. direct him to Craig Bell
    remember the guy that made his own squirrell forms ? lol

18. Xymenah

Xymenah New Member

I know of quite a few around here that do them for $250.