1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Took in more furs today

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by David Patton, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Another trapper showed up with a bag of furs today.

Trapper Tan Price List can be found at:

http://www.lonestartannery.com/lone-star-tannery-TRAPPER-TANNING-PRICE-LIST.html

David Patton

Thank you Jason at Nutty Host for keeping me in touch with the Internet!! ;D

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

:)

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

4. ;)

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

6. ;D

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

8. 8)

9. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

;D

10. Trotax

Trotax Member

Sheep fall apart?

11. Game sheep are covered in leaves, dirt, manure, etc. When they are tanned, the washings will not remove everything from the wool, so they go through a comber. If there is a hole in the leather as in the case of the sheep head that Jason worked with, it can get caught in the comber and get ripped even larger. Sheep have thin leather and tear easily. I don't do them anymore because I have too many hours in them doing them by hand. After I sent the sheep head back to Thacker, that one that Jason is talking about, I swore off doing them.

12. Trotax

Trotax Member

No need to get pissy with me, you said sheep fall apart.

13. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

;)

14. Hi Steve,
    I was talking about game sheep heads and one in particular that Jason had to repair. I wasn't getting pissy with you. By the way, corsicans and mouflons don't have the same problems that game sheep exhibit. Corsicans and mouflons are single layered leather while the domestic breeds that are wooly have a double layer of leather. Once the upper corium is compromised with a shaving machine knife, the lower hair root layer is much weaker and tends to rip and "fall apart" much easier.

Hope that helps to explain the falling apart comment. Either way, I don't want anything to do with them anymore. Most tanneries try to avoid them mainly because of the work involved getting the wool cleaned.

15. Trotax

Trotax Member

David why did you change some of your original posts?

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

David....I finally understand what you are talking about when you say game sheep. We do a few 4 horns every year & see this ripping in them. I always blamed it on crap in the wool catching the fleshing knife. We only do these for one taxidermist & the deal is if he wants it combed he does it after they are mounted. Otherwise he can do it all himself. They are a pain & I dont blame you for not taking them anymore. Too bad you ever did to start with.

17. Bill,
    I came out of Carolina Fur Dressing in 2003 and purchased a sheep tannery from Maine in 2004. I wish to God that I never took that part of the business on, even though it helped in the beginning. The struggles I have had in the last 4 years center mainly on the time consuming efforts I wasted on sheep. Maybe the next 4 years I can get back to strictly taxidermy tanning.

I have backed way off in the last two years during the prolonged stuggle my wife has gone through with cancer. I miss a lot of phone calls sitting in Dr offices. I have a handful of customers that have stuck it out with me through the tough times and I will never forget them. For the rest that have barbecued me over my turnaround during this ordeal...I hope they never have to go through what I have been through. It is extremely painful to watch your reputation get shredded and not be able to do anything about it. I nearly gave up, but I can't quit because tanning is all I have ever done and it remains my life passion.

Tonight my wife Sharon is in a hospital room at Duke recovering from a surgery that removed her upper left palate and lymph nodes in her neck. I still get calls from people telling me they are getting lawyers to sue me for their hides not being done yet. I have been beat down so bad over the last few years, that I don't even feel the pain anymore. I have learned to roll with it and choose more wisely in who I deal with now. Sharon is doing fine now and I will be back in the tannery to keep the ball rolling. There are big plans afoot that are going to benefit the Taxidermy community with respect to tanning for the future. I am hoping that this will all be a learning experience in looking back the next 5 years.

Thanks to everyone that has supported Sharon and I through all this. It is a blessing to have people that care about us and pray for us.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Prayers sent for your wife David.

19. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

David.....I missed your last post til today. Had no idea your wife was ill. Good wishes coming your way.

20. Thanks guys.

MP. I still want to try that fshing trip to Matagordas Bay one day.