1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Phirst Pheasant 2 pics

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by loomisjosh5, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Let me know what you think. I finally finished my habitat base. I hope everyone likes, but if not its okay. Its my first pheasant and habitat. Josh

2. here is a few more

3. one of me and the bird.

4. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Hi Josh!

You're definately off to a good start. I would recommend getting Newmeyer's book on habitats and composition. There are some good rule of thumb guidelines to work into your future pieces. I'm sure there are several others out there, I just cant think of them off the top of my head.

It's a good looking mount, 20 years from now, if you're still doing taxidery, maybe it will find a home in your shop.

Have fun,
    Jon

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I kinda like the rope around the base, I think I may incorporate that into a fish habitat I'm working on. Where did you find it?

6. hey cole yeah, a friend of mine did that to some of his bases and so I tried it on my first one it looks great. I bought it at Lowes's in the rope section, it was 40 cents a foot, that is 3/4in rope, they have all different kinds, i bought some 1/2 inch roll for like 5 dollars, it had 100 foot on it. Let me know if this helps you out in any way. so what did you think of the mount and habitat. josh

7. Good job on your first pheasant. Try using some silicon to help set the feathers and you won't end up with wondering back feathers. GOOD JOB!

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Looks very good for your first mount. Check your reference for eye shape, yours looks a little wide-eyed. I understand in your pose the bird is to look nervous but they still seem a little mis-shapen. Also there are some downy feathers showing on the back, this may just be from pen feathers or shot damage, hard to tell from the pic. Did you have a ref. pic of a pheasant in this pose? Not sure if the wing should be showing that much. Notice how the wing in this pic is nearly covered completely. This is not always the case I know, thats why I'm not sure yours is wrong, just something to think about. Overall you should be very proud. Birds are still my weakest link when it comes to taxidermy, which is frustrating because they are so fun to do!

9. Very beautiful job...congratulations....I can only hope some of my birds come out as good...Trying my hand out on my first turkey now...just need a head and feet...and maybe a beard ... Bird can have mine LOL

10. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Nice job for your first one!! You are off to a great start. One little tip, always try to get the best undamaged specimen that you can, it makes your final mount much nicer.
    Good luck,
    Chuck

11. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Hi Josh, That not bad at all for your first phesant, I would take Jon's and Chuck's advice on refference's and having a good specimen to begin with. Good Luck on your next one.
    Jim's Wildlife Studio
    James Checho

12. Pumacat

Pumacat New Member

Texas
    Nice Job Josh! I'm a new taxidermist and have done a few pheasants now. I've defenitely learned something "new" with each one. This is a constant "learning" experience. I too liked what you did with the rope around your island base...nice:) Keep up the good work!

Angelo

13. wildbill

wildbill New Member

Josh- The base looks excellent. Very nice job. Cole submitted a great reference picture for you to look at. Reference is very important if you want to compare your mount to the real thing. Notice on the reference picture how the wing kinda tucks into a pocket. The long breast feathers with purple tips, (not for sure their name) rides over the bottom half of the wing. The peacock looking feathers on the back towards the rump lay smooth and flat. I check my feathers daily for a couple of weeks after mounting for correct placement, moving them as needed. Correct fleshing is very important to keep feathers from pulling out of place. Once again, very good job for first mount.

14. Sile

Sile Guest

Very good for a first mount In my opinion.......