1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

removing bondo'd horns?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bobbym1232, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I have a customer that wants the horns removed from the skull for craft use. They are bondo'd on, problem is the guy he bought them from wants the skull back. I think he made replicas to put back on it. How the heck am I gonna get them off, or is it not possible.

I've been soaking in hot water for several days trying to get the horns to swell a bit and maybe pry them off, but no luck. Will simmering them for a few minutes help loosen them up any? Probably gonna regret doing this job. By the way, its a RM Bighhorn so trying not to destroy the skull if possible. Any help?

2. danst74

danst74 New Member

According to george if there bondoed on, just bump them with your elbow and they will fall right off.
    LOL
    Dan

Kerby Ross likes this.

3. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I knew somebody would bring up George's "bondo is not an adhesive" argument! lol

Kerby Ross likes this.
  4. Try heating them with a heat gun ...just be careful not to over do it and remember....they will be HOT...wear gloves.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

On all my rasps and tools I boil them to get hardened bondo off, but that may be extreme for the skull.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Well, you are learning for yourself that it is an adhesive, and a pretty good one. Heating them will soften the Bondo, and once heated, bashing them on some concrete might break them free. It sounds like it is going to be a huge PITA.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cole, I know you said that just for my benefit. You try boiling epoxy and see if it comes off. Boiling will work as the microballoons will absorb the water and the fiberglass will disBOND. OR you could take a rawhide mallet and give them a whack or two and if there are any air gaps, they WILL DISBOND. On the otherhand, if he used EPOXY WHICH IS AN ADHESIVE, it would be an integral part of each other and would not disbond other than in tiny slivers one at a time. (I can tell exactly who ever did auto body work and who didn't anytime Bondo is brought up.)

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

This quote is from Bondo:

"Bondo cures in minutes to a hard, lightweight plastic, which will adhere to almost anything."

What is your definition of adhesive?

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

They used to make a small pill called Carter's Little Liver Pills that was advertised as curing neuritis, neuralga, rhumatism, arthritis, dandruff, acne, gout, and a multitude of other ills and I believed that to. The USDA screwed everything up and made them stop telling us what they did and they went out of business. Bummer.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Reed Overson lives in Bismarck, North Dakota, and has been a bodyman, painter, sales rep, and technical rep for thirty years. The following is a quote from an article containing some of Reed's thoughts on using body filler:

"The resin used in Rage and other body fillers is fiberglass (polyester) resin. Today's resin technology makes the adhesion of these new resins as good as or better than most epoxy adhesives. They are designed to really stick. Also, they are somewhat flexible when used properly."

George, the problem with your statement is that body filler is not an adhesive, when clearly it is. There is more than one type of adhesive. Body filler adheres to things by mechanical adhesion. (gripping scratches, etc. as you have admitted in the past) While body filler does not chemically bond with whatever it is you want to adhere, when used properly it will still adhere 2 things together. When I Bondo a form back together tomorrow, and that Bondo is cured, you may be able to break my form in half, but I'll guarantee it won't break at the Bondo'ed area, it will break new foam.

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2

12. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I have run into this myself on one occasion, it is a pain in the ass for sure, but heat is defiantly needed and you can slam the horns on concrete and you will not hurt them. If there is no way to chip out the bondo then you are looking at an all day job without cutting the skull and drilling into the horn cores.

13. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

If you can get some acetone in contact with the bondo, it will eventually soften it and dis bond. I took some horns off a skull a few years back, but I could drill some holes through the skull plate and pour acetone down the holes. I don't know if you have that luxury from what you describe.

14. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

As was mentioned, bondo is made from polyester resin. Don't believe me, come to my shop and I'll make you a gallon from scratch. It will soften under heat. Although the heat gun is an option, wait until your wife is gone and stick that sucker in the oven. 180 degs for 15 mins. Take it out and go slam that sucker head butted onto a stump. Wala, problem solved.

15. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

Re living this old Thread to Ask some of these guys, if still around... How 'soft' does the bondo / body filler (polyster resin) get under hair dryer heat ?

i noticed even in the sun shine warmth the bondo softened quite a bit, but not enough.. will a hair drier get it somewhat re bendable in small degrees?

16. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

What kind of horn? African, pronghorn or sheep horn?

17. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

man
    it was ten plus years ago, i think the Horn is off now.....
    it was the post prior to yours which was the modern 2021 question of the topic.....
    anywhoo

18. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I was actually replying to you, and I was aware of the age of this post conversation. I thought you were reviving the post because you need assistance in removing some horns.

19. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

We fiber glassed and put a steal pin in 100s back in the day
    good luck