1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is drying a hide necessary.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by im2bsen, Nov 4, 2009.

1. im2bsen

im2bsen New Member

This is only my second season tanning my own furs and so far everything has turned out very well but scheduling a time to tan is becoming more difficult with my work schedule. I typically wait until I have accumulated 6-8 salt dried varmint furs to start a tanning batch. In the past there have been times when some furs have not finished salt drying at the time I would like to start a tanning batch. So my question is, does a hide have to be finished drying before I start the rehydration/tanning process. Seems weird to wait on the hide to dry and then put it into a bucket of water to rehydrate.

2. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I think you just answered your own question.

3. meopilite

meopilite New Member

MN
    You can put the hide in the pickle as soon as its skun out. In fact, its easier to flesh the hide after its been in the pickle. Skin the critter, soak in pickle, flesh, pickle some more, tan.

So why are hides salt dryed? Because the salt leaches out all those liquids in the skin that can contaminate the pickle bath. If you dont salt dry it, then keep a close watch on the pH of the pickle. Its personal preferance basically. I prefer to pickle right after skinning.

4. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

i thought i read sometwhere if u didnt salt it u needed to pickle it longer to make sure ur piclkle replaces all thsoe fluid sthe salt would have drawn out

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

You should always salt no matter what. Salt sets hair as it drains the nasty fluid from within. With most of the flesh eating bacteria fluid removed from the hide from salting , the pickle stands a better chance of penetrating back into the hide. But to each his own, I guess.

PS: You do not need to get the hide rock hard before pickling. Salt hides for 48 hours, then proceed to pickling.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

To answer the question, no, you do not need to dry a salted skin out rock hard, after the salting process, rinse in cold water to rehydrate it ( half hour) then drain and toss into a pickle bath. Rinse it until clear, the pickle should be clear as well, you do not want mud and blood soup.

7. Dry salting is not neccessary.... You can go straight into a pickle if you will check the pH of the pickle often while allowing the hides to soak..

What happens whn the hide is salted is not matter how carfull there are bacteria that grow around the hiar follical....

Now if the hide is perfectly fresh than all is great and good.. if the hide hads been dead a while without care then the bacteria is growing..

Dont think so?? Just look a a coyote or fiox belly within hours of killing it.

Heat allows bacteria to grow, hair holds heat in,, hair is an insulator..

I have taken hides that I thought were in great shape and dry salted them and had them slip..

Never have I lost a hide or skin that went straight in to the pickle or Krowtann..

Do I still salt dry soem hides? YES, when they are ones I have to send to the tannery.. but I have a fan on them and they are elevated where air can circulate.

When I rehydrate a cape that is dried,, I have been adding a couple ounces of bleach clorax only to the water which is a laundry sink run ithe tub full and the clorax and stir letting the bleach kill any bacteria in the sink.. there is always bacteria its everywhere...

Then I mix in Rittels bactericide and add the skin or hide and allow it to soften, it will do this quickly then add the other one..

I will add Rittels super relaxer if the hide is extremely hard..

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Ever check the pH of the clorox water solution?

Really, even in the clorox bottle?

For those who think that there is no need to salt and no need to rehydrate...well, it's like this:

You can also eat that deer without guttin it or skinnin it...It isn't proper and probably won't be as good, but you can still do it.. ;)

9. On the outside of the Chlorax bottle there is.

2 capefull of Chlorax in five cgallons of water does nothing to the pH.

But let me ask you something why does Pepsi add Chlorax to their water to make soda and bottled water??? Help pruify the water maybe.. I dotn know but I see the truck load of Chlorax at the Pepsi plant everyweek.

I was checking using bacteria swabs, they react when they contact bacteria and even though I thought soemthings we clean, they were not.. Lost a bet with the health dept inspector.

But I do know that since using a bit of Chlorax in the rehydrating water before anything else is done I never get slippage..

Whats the red fungus that will grow in salt?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

they probably use bleach to clean the equipment? Food companies do.

11. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I was just bustin on ya... There most certainly is bacteria present on almost all surfaces and in the air..

They might be purifying water with the clorox, but more than likely cleaning equipment. It is basically sodium hypochlorite, the same "chlorine" that is in drinking water...It raises the pH of water.

Ever get a drop or two spilled on your hands? What happens when you try to wash it off?