1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Todays Lesson..bigger is not always better..

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Missouri Creek Studio, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

I have been picking up some work from a large area outfitter, whose clients are mainly out of state. The outfitters usual taxidermist is well know "World Champion" and has tried to expand and make inroads in other areas of taxidermy.
    One of his past clients told me he didn't care how much his mount cost or how good it was...the firm in question has lied to him again and again for 1 1/2 years on why his last mount not finished.
    The client told me once you lie to me your'e finished getting future work.
    Usually we expect this backlog from cut throat newbie taxidermists that get loaded up with more work than they can handle.
    Despite political opinions Banks are not too big to fail and neither are taxidermy firms.
    The Moral is:
    Treat your customers with respect. Price to make a honest profit. Turnout quality work and give them a honest turnaround time.
    Your repeat clients will make or break your reputation and success in our profession.

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    i agree but how do you explain hacks being in business for 20+years?

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

You haven't been in the biz THAT long yet mk, and I really don't consider you a hack. Relax! You'll be ok. LOL

4. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    thanks tim-i try.lol :D

5. cwt

cwt Active Member

thats what im sayin

6. Its just one side of the story.. People clients are going to find someone they want to use.. Then somewhere along the way they will change.. Same reason many hunters leave their animals in Africa.. Or use Joe Bob down the road.. Sometimes its just time to change...

I have some customers that used my services 3o years ago and some new ones too. Many of them used someone else along the way..

One customer brought in his deerhead I mounted in 1980 yesterday,, a shampoo and some touch up and its back out the door looking better than it did new..

I am working a mulie over that I did on a paper form from Jonas,, fell fromt he wall and broke an antler off.. It needed a very good cleaning as it has been hanging in a wal mart for 10 years and has faded under the flourescent lights.. Little cactys buck will go out next week will wal mart paying the bill.. But its going to take some more work...

You will find as your business grows todays plans my change, you dont know whats comming throught the door today...

One of our members here had a longhorn dropped onhim a couple weeks ago,, theres a couple days shot...

""Despite political opinions Banks are not too big to fail and neither are taxidermy firms.""

What happens is burnout and lack of business skills... Do you know how many taxidermist many of us old timers have seen come and go in our areas???? I can think of 20 between me and Holmes.. Round about ways of getting there but there is more than that I am sure of that I dont know about.

""Treat your customers with respect. Price to make a honest profit. """

Price to make profit ot make wages??? There is a difference!!!!!

Most taxidermist dont know what profit is, all they make is wages..

Profit is what is left after all expenses and you have paid your wages...