1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competitors are KILLING me

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tricia, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

just for giggles.
    I've got a three bedroom 1 1/2 bath home, on a city lot with a small storage shed in the backyard.
    I MIGHT have 1,400 square feet....my taxes were almost $600

When we bought it 8 years ago we paid 56,500 and STOLE the house.
    Normally a rancher around here would sell in the 70,000 - 80,000 range.

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Harley where at in illinois are you, property taxes in illinois are among the highest in the country where I'm at. Are you set up as a agriculture of wildlife preserve to get the taxes knocked down that much? something don't sound right.

3. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Ummmm, the thought of my property taxes will NOT make me giggle. :-\ Alright, time for me to get out and hang some more flyers. Now I gotta worry about next month, I hate property tax time. It's almost worse than income tax time. :p

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

my parents ( in the next town over ) have a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1500ish victorian on a corner lot with a detached 1.5 car garage 2 blocks from the gradeschool and paid 15 k for it 10 yrs ago. their taxes are around 450ish in the last 4 yrs 5 houses have sold in that neighborhood and the hishest one brought 9 k. I will admit my taxes are EXTREAMLY low even for our area but it's because it is in the country and was homesteaded because it has been in the family so long.

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Here ya go MK this is what I got to show for my $78 a yr in taxes nothing great but it's a solid roof over our heads ;)

[​IMG]

6. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

that spread in Carson would run you about 550,000.00...................... ::)

7. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Side note: billybob get outa my profile! You spend more time there than anyone I've ever seen! If you haven't gotten the gist yet, I'm poor...and ugly. Widow's hump, hairy wart, I'm the whole package. :p

8. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

How many $700 deer heads would you have to do to pay for that 550,000 dollar spread? How many $300 dollar deer heads do you think I would have to do to pay for my $20,000 spread? Do you know see my point about arguing prices outside your area? ( and no I'm not reffering to you but people in general) Now if I was advertising $300 deer heads world wide and cutting into someone else's business then by all means say your piece. This is why I don't understand people who do great work PREDOMINANTLY over the internet why live somewhere where you have to pay out the ass in taxes come to my neck of the woods charge what you want and get double the rewards for your money. I choose to do business locally.

9. Bobbi Meyer

here's what $600 at year in taxes will get you

Attached Files:

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Damn Trish! You blew me out of the water!!!!!!!!!!! I got a reputation to uphold Damn it!!

Ok, yes I spent the night in a deserted bedroom all alone in a room suited for the Ritz Carlton. Damn it sucked to be all alone in a honeymoon suite like that. I really wanted to give that mattress a real workout. Hell they even kept the dog away from me! The house is so damn loaded with security that I was afraid to fall asleep out of fear that my snoring would set off the fricking alarms and hubby would come out blasting first and ask questions later. The place is so sound proof that there could have been a party going on in the next room , but I would have never known it. As plush as this shack is, I am surprized that it didn't come with 2 oriental ladies to give me a bath and massage. The maid, pool boy and gardner were all present, but quickly let me know that I was merely an overnight guest and weren't as friendly as I had hope. All in all though, it was nice to see how the other half live. However, now I'm back to reality, with my dog and my double wide trailor. My old junk truck and my broke ass bank account. REALITY SUCKS!!! LOL I guess that was my vacation for the year.

11. Tricia

Tricia New Member

That security system does rock, doesn't it? The shop and the house have the same system. LMAO You're a master at exaggeration. What fun reading that! hehehe I'm working on achieving that double wide reality. Some day, I'm gonna be that comfortable. ;D

12. Bobbi Meyer

Who did you have do your security system?
    if you have that on a business is that a tax deductible expense?
    can you get insurance cheaper?

13. Tricia

Tricia New Member

14. antlerman

Like I tried to tell ya, the place is a fricking dream. If ya get the chance, go check her shop out. It's fricking awesome. I just wouldn't want to have to pay for it. When she said freezer as in ONE. Lets understand that it's a 12 x 16 foot walk in with a fricking secuity system attached to it. Or was it 16 x 20???

15. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Heres a little tidbit about demographics & income levels. Over the past 15 years or so the govt. has been sinking tons of money into building Fort Drum NY. It is the home of the 10th mountain division. Now at least 30000 soldiers have moved in. Actually its quite a bit more than that. So how would you like that? 30,000 young men rednecks for the most part. These are the kind of guys who get out there & hunt & fish. Sooooooo ther should be a lot of potential customers there, right? Dont believe it for a minute....none of them make the kind of money for luxuries like taxidermy. We might get 2-3 customers from there each year & they will all be at least E-7s with 15-20 years service. Sounds like it should have been a great deal, but no money no customers. Location makes all the difference.

16. Tricia

Tricia New Member

It's 12 X 16, Tim. I don't need a bigger one.

17. antlerman

Exactly Bill. It's not always as one would think.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Steve, let me address your remarks. You can call a turd anything you want but it's still sh1t no matter how you cut it. Don't play word games or that tired ass "you have a military pension". I served in a time when my take home pay was $600 a month. I really lived high on the hog with a car payment, a trailer payment, lot rent, and food. I have a bank stub to remind me how well off I was. It has a balance of TWELVE CENTS the day before pay day and payday was once every two weeks. How many times during that 30 years did Congress screw with the budget and GI's had to miss payday because we were "unfunded"? My creditors weren't impressed with that excuse. Then they figured out how to beat the system ONCE. They moved payday from the last day of the month to the first day so they could skip over one month of the fiscal year. THEN they decided instead of the first of the month, you'd get paid on the first WORKDAY of the month. God help you if the first was a Monday after a holiday. The first 3 years I was married, my wife and I actually cohabitated a total of 8 months with me being in schools or temporary duty in glorious parts of the world. They did improve pay a bit and gave us COLA and HOLA that brought me (a TSgt at that time) up to almost $1200 a month. Just to screw with me however, they sent me on an 18 month tour to Japan. They would allow me to take my family but that would have meant trying to liquidate everything I had and DOUBLE MY TOUR LENGTH. I figured after that, they couldn't screw with me much, but silly me, I'd never heard of Granada or thought about Panama or Somalia, or the Balkins or Iraq. So don't play that silly assed card with me. While I was making a patchwork living for survival, I wasn't making any fortune. If YOU had invested YOUR MONEY early in life as I invested my time, YOU would be set and wouldn't be tempted to use that tired ass analogy about my military service.

I ALWAYS kept my prices equal to or better than the average local guys, but when I started that meant that you got $15 for a squirrel and $50 for a deer head WITH a plaque. When the local guy went to $75, I went to $80 figuring neither of us would survive on that. I was wrong.

This still comes back to whoring yourselves out. I refuse to do more work for less pay. R.J. Simington said it well. So what if I take less work in. The actual COST to me will be less and the PROFIT margin is likely to be the same or better. If you want to charge what the "hacks" charge to be competitive with them, go for it, but DON'T come back here whining that your work is better than theirs is because that'll show just how stupid you are for doing better work at less costs to the customers.

19. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Harley i didn't ask to see pics of your place i asked where in illinois are you what town?

you live on a nuclear waste dump?

And your what part time and working another job correct? Now lets see how your attitude would change if you had to rely soley on taxidermy. you still going to do deer heads at $300? ok well lets see you would need to get in at least 100 a year and you'd end up maybe 15-20,000 net then theres utilities, so knock off another 5,000 a years off that and your left with 10-15,000. sound good. lol

20. antlerman

And you want to start a union!! LOL