1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competitors are KILLING me

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tricia, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I'd like to wow them when I get them in the door but the only thing they see are things drying if at all I need to get some of my own stuff up to show but have been waint on a certain cape to arive ;) LOL

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    ok thanks man, thats all i asked. lol. now that makes more sense on your tax situation, must need some people to live in Casey, ill huh? lol. Harley, you could pay your bills and everything off only 30 deer a year?

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Our most fierce competitor and the person we need to look at most in concern of IS THE PERSON IN THE MIRROR.

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

once my house is payed off and If I had to yeah I probably could. Depends on how many more toys I buy between now and then LOL

5. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Harley, I'm about an hour and a 1/2 from you across the Indiana line. We have a rental property in Terre Haute. These people don't get it. I just got a check from my mortgage company because I had too much money in my escrow. Taxes dropped again to $217 a year. . That's with 7 1/2 acres 3 br house a garage and my shop .
    The draw back is a $10 an hour job is a good job. I went up anyway. And so far hasn't hurt me. Had a good bow season. Just hope it keeps up.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Oh don't get me wrong I will go up and will someday be the price setter but I'm still the new guy in town and building a client base and I'm damn sure not going to jump to 500 when everyone else is 275-300 untill my customer base gets big enough to warant a price increase to weed out some of the price shoppers. And from the look of things I will be going up late this yr or first of next. I got 33 pieces last yr ( and that is almost all that I want with a full time job) I'm already at 25 this yr and gun season doesn't start till next weekend.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Perhaps you need to re-read George's post. The "price game" as you call it is ILLEGAL!

Seems these pricing conversations always go on and on. I will say this, I let the economy and people on here scare me into leaving my prices the same this year. I already think this was a big mistake, and will likely cost me about $3000. I'm on a record pace so far this year, and our firearms season opens tomorrow, which is always REALLY busy. I've taken around 30 deerheads so far (as well as some bear, elk, etc) and not one customer has asked what I charged. Not one. Of course several have asked on their way out the door, what this is going to cost them, but no one has asked ahead of time. Their decision had been made before they ever pulled in the drive, and I'm confident that raising my price $25 would not have lost me any of those customers. I should have known better, and I almost feel stupid for not changing it. There are more than a dozen taxidermists within 20 miles of me, and most of those are charging as low as $195, and up to $325. At $475 I'm not going to land a single price shopper, so not going up to $500 was a mistake on my part. I'm confident it would not have made a difference.

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Just goes to show that right here in MO there is quite a bit of difference in price.
    I'm at $375. $25 more than last year, I was gonna go up $50, but another person in the house talked me out of it.
    I had about half as many last year as I had the previous year, so with the economy this year, we'll see if it's better or worse.
    I DO expect to get some work after tax season gets here, as I believe lots of hunters are gonna put em either in the freezer and wait till their tax refunds come in or will opt for European or antler mounts.
    Tomorrow will tell the tale........

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yes it will, and the weather looks like it's going to be great so they should slaughter them. (unlike last years 40mph winds on opening weekend) I'm hoping for 30 heads this weekend.

10. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Cole- yeah I understand price fixing is illegal, so is not wearing your seatbelt, etc. lol. but you know what those guys are stupid for everyone not going up $25. they would have still been lower in price than tricia and any work they got in they would have made more money on it, instead they lowered last years price by $10. now tricia is thinking on lowering her prices. what did that just do? It devalued the deer head price in that area and no one is making money. hell who knows maybe they only pay$78 a year taxes like harley and have a regular full time job.

I don't know what it is with you guys confidence maybe? but, a guy is going to get it mounted regardless, and if you all think that they will change their mind cause prices went up $25 your nuts. this is something that these guys will have forever ok its not a tv or computer or car where they will have to get a new one every 10 years or so.

11. wetandwild

wetandwild New Member

I'm new to this site and taxidermy as a hobby. I respect all of you for having the guts to go into business. I thank you, George, that all of my taxidermy instruction books are in English! I cannot read Arabic, Japanese, German, etc.

I've spent the last 2 days reading all of the posts. Very interesting. I have a full time job with benefits I'm thankful for. I have taken on 3 wt shoulder mounts this year. They are from people that I have been able to convince that I care about details. Are they going to be competition grade? No... Are they going to pay me competition prices? Absolutely not.

I am one of those who 'crawled out from under the woodwork' as somebody stated earlier. Am I going to hurt the competition down the road, with my $275 heads, who does hundreds of heads for $500? I highly doubt it.

George thank you that we still, for now, live in a nation where capitalism dictates pricing not @#*&%$ unions! (TAXIDERMY UNION!! WTH?!! Someone suggested that earlier.) If the guy down the road has some good selling points that draw customers away from your business, that's capitalism. Don't be p1ssed because the other guy doesn't have as much overhead as you (if that is the case). Think of this, I can start with my prices at $275 because I don't have to make any money other than to support my desire to do a couple of dear heads and better my quality. I don't have the facilities (my basement) to do even 25 or even 10. If the guy down the street is making unrealistic promises, they will catch up and he will either burn out or the industry will spit him out. Capitalism! Free Market! Love it! Vote for it! If however with his lower overhead and long standing reputation allows him to make promises you cannot afford to compete with, then the glamour of freezers with alarm systems and luxurious facilities may have to be scaled back a bit. Or, that could be the selling point, your feature, if you will. Advertise based on that. What's different about you than him. Get back on the radio and tell the redneck, huntin,' country music listeners about your features. You said it worked when you first started, right? People haven't cut back on their radio listening due to the economic downturn! Turbo tax Timmy blowhard hasn't yet figured out how to tax that yet.

Competition doesn't kill us, it fine tunes businesses and keeps prices within a realistic range of what the product is worth. The people on here that believe they can just raise their prices because they want more in their pocket need to come back here in a couple of years and tell us how that worked out. If you live in an area and have a customer base that would allow you to do so, than by all means jack'em up! You, jacking up your prices, just opened a door to someone else that has a different business model with less overhead. WoooHoo says that guy! Did I tell you? I love living in a free nation (for now) that allows that person to be me, if I so choose (which I don't at this time). Without competition, American cars would still resemble the model T. Does Iran even have and automaker? I don't know but I bet they're junk.

I wish that every one of you would have the blessings of God poured out onto your business and families. Trish, not all of these words were for you, but some were and I hope you find them to be helpful not hurtful.

George, People like you almost make me feel guilty for my 4 years spent in the Coast Guard during peace time. They call me a vet... Tch! I did however take part in the destruction of over 3000 kilos of uncut cocaine by cutting 'em open and throwing it into the Carribean! Take that you dope dealin' jag offs!
    Blessings to you all thanks for reading!

12. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I've gone up $25 a year every year. And my numbers have increased every year. This year I went up 10% $35. $40 on my " Whole deer package" $440. That's processed and mounted.

I get $80 to process a buck. And about 1/2 the capes on those are saleable. $25- $50 . Depending on size and condition.

The plan is to in a few years only process the deer I Mount. Charge them for the convienience and not give a break any longer. But I want to build up a little larger customer base first. Not that I'm not happy at where I am now. I just don't feel it's the right time yet.

13. Bobbi Meyer

yeah this cold snap thats coming in should help things out.
    Good Luck Cole!

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Comparing collusion to not wearing a seatbelt is like comparing you to Shaq. I'm of the belief that you should not give a flying rats ass what anyone charges. It doesn't change your situation. You determine what you need to charge to make a living, and if no one shows up you find a different profession.

15. wetandwild

wetandwild New Member

Uncle Harley, may we call you 'Taxidermy Price Czar' in a couple of years? LOL! JK!

16. Bobbi Meyer

Hey MK...where is your website? hehehehe

17. wetandwild

wetandwild New Member

Comparing collusion to not wearing a seatbelt is like comparing you to Shaq. I'm of the belief that you should not give a flying rats ass what anyone charges. It doesn't change your situation. You determine what you need to charge to make a living, and if no one shows up you find a different profession.
    [/quote]

Ding Ding! Someone gets it. Finding a different proffession that you can excell in, in the area that you want to reside is always an option!

18. Bobbi Meyer

Is there such a thing as a professional Whiner? :eek:

19. wetandwild

wetandwild New Member

Yes... I suppose... Another name? Acorn

20. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

Everyone is still worried about hurting their clients feelings by raising their prices due to THIS POOR ECONOMY.

Whether it is $25. or $100. , you have to remember that ALL of us are in this same pickle barrel.

Most of the clients that I have that are pissing & moaning about prices going up are living beyond their means in the first place.

They grip at $625. for a deer head , yet they go in & buy a brand new Snow mobile that costs $10,000. or a Racing type of Quad every other year ( In THIS ECONOMY ) & they brag about it to you every time they see ya, Yet they still gripe about me making money.

That's why I could care less what they say, I am the highest in town, There are at least 10 other guys they can go to but they still come to my studio. Why ?

Because all of their freinds got a great job done & they are happy with their pieces. they seem to stop complaining about the price as soon as they pick up their mount.

Even got a $500. tip this year.

The way I see it is Every time you drop your prices, there is someone new, OR OLD that will cut your throat Again & again.

Pretty soon we will all be doing Free deer heads or having to pay the client just for the opportunity to mount his prised trophy & listen to his hunting stories for half an hour Every time they come in.

Think about this , Fuel prices are back down again & yet I just had to pay a FUEL SURCHAGE AT UPS Yesterday.

Yes I pissed & moaned about it BUT I went ahead & paid for it to be shipped anyway.

Too many times we try to OUT GUESE our clients as to what will make them happy & forget that they could care less if our electric bill is late, or if we cant make a car payment because our CLIENTS wont pick up the piece they have been calling about every month for a year now that it is done.

The Economy has been tough on them, My butt, Its tough on ALL OF US !