1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competitors are KILLING me

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tricia, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

price look at it in quality . If you buy a remington shotgun in Chicago you might pay more but you will get the same quality it don't work like that in Taxidermy quality is everything.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

When are some of you ever going to get tired of trying to sell snowballs during a snowstorm?

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

My snowballs might cost a little more, but I use the purest snow available, and I pack them extremely tight. Each snowball is very close in weight and uniform. Sure you can make your own snowballs, but why not leave it to a professional?

[​IMG]

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

"Professional" I think Master snowball maker sounds better.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't want to mis-represent myself. I have never competed in snowball making on a masters level. (...or any level really...)

6. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

OMG, prepackaged snowballs? Genius!!!!

7. barry 58

barry 58 New Member

That's the problem with this its to easy to call yourself a taxidermist Most are not bussines minded to run a shop full time Not going up on price eve re year is a good example. Most do not make a list of expenses with health ins. light heat and living. thank be for you start off in this world

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Why does everybody always think price equals quality?? It sure doesn't. Higher price simply means your smart enuf to get paid for what you do.

9. Bill Yox

Hell I STILL cant understand why someone would try doing taxidermy in an economy or setting, etc, where its proving to not work. If it were ANY other industry or job, NOBODY would take a pay cut to still do it, when that pay cut would take you toward zero profit. Maybe a long standing job position and you take a pay decrease to keep your job, that I get, but its not your own overhead and expenses. For a proprietor to just about give it away to still call himself a taxidermist? Wheres a persons pride, if nothing else?

Id just lock the door and move on for the time being. Deer numbers come up, economy changes, or some indicator suggests that things are better, then unlock the door and begin again. It doesnt cost you to try to string it along to stay open. I realize that that second job isnt so easy to just go out and get, but its still the lesser of two evils as I see it.

10. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I'm just wondering why this thread keeps going. Isn't the horse dead YET? :-\

The same words, the same opinions, and the end results are still the same. Everyone is going to do what they think is best for them. Let it go already. There are other problems to fix.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree, who started this thread anyway?

12. antlerman

Yeah, we should string her up, crazy woman.....

13. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I think everyone wants to hold on to that dream

14. Bill Yox

Tricia must be experiencing memory loss, lol.

Tim, yeah, I hear ya there. But I figure that the way I suggested, they ARE holding on to it, its not quitting, just knowing when to let it go for a bit. Nothing wrong with putting a plug in the hole in the boat, rather then going down with it!

15. antlerman

Hell Bill, I'm jumping.................MAN OVER BOARD!!!

HELP HELP!! I CAN'T SWIM!!!!

Guess I shoulda put a plug in it! LOL

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You started the damn thing ding bat!

17. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I know I did...but damn. I never thought it would end up to be over 10 pages long and still being tossed around a month later. :-\

I've had other problems that had to be fixed, and this seems like one of my smallest problems right now.

Fine, let's just discuss one of my bigger problems. Tim, the longhorn guy signed the paperwork at my lawyers office, came here and picked up his longhorn mount. I had Robert here along with a Polk County Sheriff's Department Investigator. He didn't like only being allowed about 3 feet into the showroom area. Just far enough to walk around the bull for inspection. He tried to tell me what a great job I did, how beautiful it was....and the Investigator says "So you approve work? Great, pay the money and let's get this loaded." He was rushed out of here.

Now this guy likes driving past my house and sitting in his truck on the highway in front of the shop a lot. Whatcha think? A bigger problem than pricing? I'm thinkin' it is. :mad: If anybody can figure out how to get rid of a stalker in a way that WON'T land me in jail, I'm all ears. ::) I'm gonna end up pulling my 9mm one day, and it won't be for show...which will land me in jail because we can't PROVE stalking in a commercial setting, especially since he was a customer. Knowing and proving are two different things. The County Investigator came because he believed that this was a problem, even though he can't do anything about this guy's behavior. He could only do something if the guy had committed a crime while he was here. He's a narsissistic @sshole, but he's not stupid.

Now, fix THAT and we can all get back to picking on the lowballers. :p

18. antlerman

Glad you got paid and the bull deal is done. On the other part of this, I don't know what to tell you.

19. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

You have security cameras right?

20. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I would...........

Since it is a free country and he is allowed to stay out in front of your business, I would get my camcorder and in plain view, record his activities. It will drive him nuts. Make sure he sees you filming, in fact set it up on a tripod and point it right at him.

he won't hang around for long.

:)

Kerby...