1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving tips

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

That's kind of a personal preference thing. :-\

It has always been my thought, that as far as working at the tannery goes, a dull knife, is a dangerous thing.(for the skins) More pressure is required to make a cut, and the knife is still sharp enough to cut a hole, or make a false cut. Plus it wears your body out.LOL

The tannery shavers HAVE to produce a smooth skin. The skins being shaved, dictate the frequency of grinding. African is alot harder on the edge, than most North American. Usually after the first fleshing of alot of African, it wont be long, till you see some grinding being done. Its not so much that they cant steel it back sharp, its the fact that the knife wont hold the sharp edge for long, before you have to steel again.

I have always told the shavers under me, that it is more productive to spend the 10 minutes to regrind, than it is to baby sit a dull edge. When shaving at home, you should think the same way. You might save $30.00 not paying for regrinding, BUT you will save MORE than $30.00 over the course of a couple of weeks, in your time, trying to keep a dull edge sharp!?

While I'm here, another tip.

DONT leave your steels in contact with the edge, longer than around 15 seconds, when trying to steel a dull knife. The heat generated when steeling longer than this, will weaken the edge even further. You will see sparks start to fly! Sparks flying, are USUALLY never good.

2. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

a good post - was up all night so was doing alot of reading ;D and thought it should be brought back up -- maybe some new tips will show up ;)

3. Thanks for the very informative post Oldshaver! Awesome of you to do this! You make some very good points!

4. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

mark

5. I didnt realize this was from l;ast year ;D

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Very helpful information, Thanks!

7. vadeerhunter

vadeerhunter New Member

X2 :D

8. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i just read this for the first time too. has it really been on here for a year. wow great tips os. thanks for sharing.
    bob

9. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Not sure how I missed this the first time it came out either, glad it was brought back up.