1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Favorite repair for large ear tears.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Diamondhitch, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Im sure everyone has seen this type of thing come in before especialy you africeeerap guys. I was just curious what different methods you guys are using to fix large holes and split edges on ears like in the photo, sewing, glueing ect. I usualy sew but sometimes wish I had just glued them shut.

Attached Files:

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Id just tuck the hair inside, pinch the skin together and put a bead of super glue down the seam :)

3. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

X2

4. Diamondhitch

Usualy if I glue them I paste the liner up and insert as per usual with the exception of the damaged edge then use 5 minute epoxy applied from the outside. Does the super glue make a good strong edge?

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

never had a problem with it. It's not like your going to hang the mount by the ear or anything like that.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

On an ear like that if I was using Bondo-chop-resin mix I would simply make the ear with out doing any repairs, let it flow out the side, as it cures spray with laquer thinner and thin down to shape....after the Bondo has fully cured I would pull the skin back & then super glue it back to the Bondo.

7. WST

WST New Member

I use epoxy on my liners so I would just epoxy the liner and insert them in the ear. Then clean the epoxy off the hair at the damaged opening. I card them to make sure the seam dries flat.

8. zubba

zubba Active Member

That is what I do too. I use a 5 minute epoxy on the whole ear...tear and all.

9. Diamondhitch

Thanks guys I figured there had to be a million ways to skin that cat. I am going to try some of those suggestions on my next big boo boo. I have never tried super glue before.

10. Make sure you get the super glue gel - not regular super glue.

Bruce

11. small needle and thread and sew it up hair inside and then bondo or earliner... no big deal.

12. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

nothing, an ear liner and good hide paste.......it shouldnt move.

13. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

X2

14. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I don't fix a tear like that.
    if it's on the edge I just use epoxy glue on the earliners and squeeze the edge together, clean the hair off and card.
    If it's in the ear itself, I'll use a fabric softner sheet, glue one edge of the tear, then pull it towards the other side THEN glue it. Then mount as usual.

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

How Mike explained is exactly how I do it except I use techno bond and accelerator to glue the edges back.

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Liners, no sewing, and good adhesive. Whether its tears, healed tears, knotches, whatever. Works every time.

17. ed150

ed150 deer city time

x2

18. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I don't like to sew so I'm gonna glue!
    OK...that basically boils down to......I'm too lazy.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I sew them up, my ears look better then Bill's.

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

MrT is just jealous that I can do mine without sewing... ;)