1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

degreasing birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 300savage, Feb 7, 2007.

1. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    what are everyones prefeered method of degreasing birds such as upland and waterfowl

2. I skin defat on a wheel Take to the sink and wash in slighlty warm water and dawn dish soap let soak for about 10 minutes then I soak in white gas for about 10 minutes tumble and mount. There are lots of methods but this one works for me and is cheaper then all the degreaseing supplies someone else may use.

3. HOLY CRAP, you use white gas.have you not heard about all the shops blowing up from guys using this? me neither ;)

4. I run it on a wire wheel to break up all the fat then I soak for 20 mins. in Stanley Home products degreaser. Works great for me and make the bird smell like oranges. Sometimes makes me hungry.

5. Fowlplay

Fowlplay 60 day turnaround wholesale waterfowl

I was just wondering what "stanley home products degreaser" was and where you buy it.

thanks,
    fowlplay

6. http://www.shponline.com/english/shop_product_detail.asp?CatID=19&ProductID=587 Here is the link to the degreaser I use. I have been using the regular one for 5 or 6 yrs this is the new one and I just started using it and I like it.

Thanks
    Steve

7. Adam

Adam New Member

sdoomed,

no dawn, no gas just this degreaser? Then tumble?

Adam

8. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

After fleshing, I rinse the skin off with warm water....then pour some dawn straight on the skin, and work it into the feathers. Let sit, then add water to soak, then rinse......repeat once or more if needed. The final rinse should take a while, to get all the soap off.

9. Mike Burrows

Mike Burrows New to the game

This is the way I was taught by 2 world champions.

1. Flesh on wire wheel.
    2. Put in cold water with a mixture of dawn dish soap and salt, then work soap into skin.
    3. Rinse wash off with cold water and repeat step two.
    4. Rinse wash off with cold water and this time put liquid tide in the wash instead of dawn.. also add a couple splashes of Odoban.
    5. Rinse well with cold water and put in Coleman fuel for 10-15 minutes.
    6. Tumble.

10. Adam,

I use very little Dawn and when I do it is more to clean the bird. Best is that this is just a household degreaser not more. You dont have to worry about blowing anything up.

Steve