1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing ball/cone

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by redwolf, Nov 16, 2009.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

For making my own fleshing ball/cone I stole one of my wife's turkey basters ::) :D With Thanksgiving coming right up I'm sure you'll be able to steal your wife's too :D
    I cut a 2" piece off the end to make poring the resin in easier.

Then I pored some vegetable oil in and made sure the whole inside had been coated for a release agent. Dump out the excess and mix up some resin and pore it in slowly. About half way filled I squeezed the ball to get any air bubbles out and then fill the rest of the tube.

With a scalpel I just cut the rubber ball off

Tip it up and it should slide right out.
  2. linspace

linspace New Member

Forgive me, but this actualy works for fleshing????

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yes. It's used for fleshing the nose pad, nostrils, and eyes.
  4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

You put this under the skin and use your scalpel to flesh...

That is a good idea... Redwolf... Now get your butt up town and go buy her a new one... Nothing worse than going to use a tool and find it missing...
  5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO. It was an extra :D

On a side note, for a little more strength you can put a little resin in the ball and let it go off. After it has gone off, fill with resin and slide a threaded rod down the tube.
    The resin that had already gone off will stop the rod from poking out of the ball end.
  6. Maybe i should send mine back. I just received one from McKenzie's but by the looks of it yours is a lot better simply because of the length. although they say it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it. with yours being a resin would it be brittle at all, like say if i dropped it on my concrete floor would i than have a 1000 of them to work with? ;D

awesome post and i am going to make one ASAP.
  7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Don't drop it :D JK
    It's not super brittle. You can make as many as you want with it just in case your clumsy like me :D . Just tape the ball and your good to go. With one can of resin (1 qt.) you can make 6 or 7 of them, so it costs about $8 for that many. These day's, the cheaper the better.
  8. ya man you are right about that one. It did come out good and i will be making one in the very new future. oh and thanks again for the re-hydration tips it worked good for me.
  9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

No problem. Glad I could help.
  10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Another option is to do just the ball. Doing the same.
    Use a piece if screen to hold a bolt in place.

Then you can mount it to a table and you don't have to worry about dropping it :D
  11. yup, I will be making that one as well. Hey Redwolf you should start a post on 101 things to do with a turkey baster.
  12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO!! I don't think I could keep it clean ::) :D
  13. Nice job Red ;)
  14. trapperfred

trapperfred New Member

oooooooooooooooooo redwolf im going to tell the wife you stole her baster ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  15. Diamond D Taxidermy

Diamond D Taxidermy I HAVE to grow old...I DON'T have to grow up!

well here's another idea for me to do! Nowif I can just sneak the baster out of the kitchen
  16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Burrhead just wait till the day after Thanksgiving. She wont realize it's gone for a whole year :D
  17. those are some good ideas ;D
  18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Matt, you have issues :D
  19. adama

adama New Member

do you recomend any certian resin
  20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I just use auto body resin.