1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dry preservative

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lucky 1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. lucky 1

lucky 1 New Member

just wondering if it is possible to make dry preservative yourself for birds and how you do it . ???
  2. dead duck

dead duck New Member

i'm not sure but i used to think that it was just salt..... so oing something to salt might work. if you fing a way please contat me

3. Mule team borax from walmart is the key ingredient. There is other stuff in there but borax is the key.
  4. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

we discussed this 2 days ago,, borax, talcom powder main 2 ingrediants,,, you can also add a little alum and moth crystals
  5. lucky 1

lucky 1 New Member

thanks for the info.
  6. tobo

tobo New Member

I know a lot of you use youst borax for birds. Is it better to mix borax with talcom powder and alum and what is adventage of this mix?

I dont have moth crystals, can I use something else or its not realy necesary. Do you have moth problems without crystals?

Best regards
  7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Buy the borax from Wal-Mart or local grocer, or buy the dry preservative from one of the supply companies. Why would you even consider mixing your own? Its cheap! I seriously doubt you could save any money and you won't produce a better product. Besides that, toying with recipes and trying to maintain consistency in your mixes will continually present problems. How much work could you get done while trying to produce your own DP?
  8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sorry Darrell. WRONG. The key ingredient in DP is unscented talcum. Powdered borax is #2, and alum is #3. After that is proprietary ingredients. Talcum is a drying agent, borax inhibits insects, and alum is an astringent intended to squeeze moisture out of the cells. MLP. is correct. Buying it is cheaper than making it.
  9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Do not EVER use salt on a fully tanned or DP mount!
  10. tobo

tobo New Member

Thanks for ansver. I would like to buy all material that I nead for taxidermy but it is not available in our country. You are so lucky because you can buy everything you nead. Most of ingrediance are here available but made product not so we have to make it ourselves. Inporting from usa would be much exspensiver.

If I mix this 3 ingredients what % of each should I use?

Thanks. Best regards
  11. Mike Powell

My response (and I'm sure some of the others were as well) in response to the original question posted which seems to be from a person here in the U.S.A. I suggest you post the country you are from so others responding to any questions may take that factor into account. Regardless, I would recommend you investigate and see if 20 Mule Team Borax (a laundry detergent) is available in your country or some other similar product with Borax and Talcum listed in the ingredients. DP mixed for taxidermy purposes is preferred over Borax, but the 20 Mule Team Borax will work fine as well. If you absolutely cannot find a product pre-mixed I will do my best to investigate and find out what the appropriate mix would be. But again, to avoid confusion put your country of residence in your personal info.

12. Mike Powell

Mix borax with unscented talcum powder 50-50 is probably as good as any. (Got this from a post from George back in 2007).
  13. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Micheal I was waiting to see if someone would address the salt issue ,it only draws moisture out the air continually ,until completely rinsed out,making ''mounts'' or skins ''weep''.
  14. tobo

tobo New Member

I put my country of residence in my personal info. I should do that long time ago. I taught you will find out that I am not from USA from my bad english.

I can buy borax, talcum and aluminium sulfat but what would be appropriate mix? Is aluminium sulfat dangerous for health?

Thank you for your time

Best regards
  15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tobo, aluminum sulfate is commonly called "alum". It is used in water purification and is the primary ingredient in antiperspirant (deodorant). A good combination would be 40% powdered borax, 40% unscented talcum powder, and 20% alum.
  16. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

Over 20 years ago, a friend of mine had a taxidermy supply business and was considering marketing his own brand of DP. he had all the brands on the market analyzed for comparison to what he was formulating. I saw the report, although I don't recall the exact numbers, they were pretty close to what I'm going to list.

Talc 40-80%
    Borax 10-30%
    Aluminum Sulphate
    Naphtha flakes
    Red, white, black pepper
    Misc small amounts of other good stuff

Make your own? Why not! It appeared that a combination of all, some, or most of the above will do the trick nicely. Or just use Borax.
  17. tobo

tobo New Member

Thank you