1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salt dried cape

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jerryn, Nov 17, 2009.

1. jerryn

jerryn Member

i salt dried a w.t. cape, was gonna send it to a tannery but want to tan it myself with lutan f , how do i get it back ready to tan ?

2. Jim L

Jim L New Member

rehydrate it. the supply companies sell hide relaxers or some people use water with a little salt mixed in.

3. hey Jerry, i just went through this process. this is what i found out.

I add 1 lb. of salt to every gallon of water. With a deer cape I use 4 lb.s of salt to 4 or 5 gallons of water. For an added precaution I add 2 tablespoons of bactericide just to kill off any bacteria, but that's just me. I only leave it in for a few hours if it takes that long to do the job. I won't leave it in for more than 3 hours.
    You may have to take it out a few times and work the nose and ears because they are the last to soften up.
    After you take the cape out of the salt water solution let it drip for a 1/2 hour or so and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge over night to sweat it. The next morning it can go into your pickle.
    Hope this helps.

all thanks go out to redwolf for this advice and it worked out awesome.