1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Saftee Acid

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by broadhead, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Alan G

Alan G New Member

check your PH meter.

2. i agree with frank he is full of crap saftee acid is all i use and have had zero problems with it.

3. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

broadhead : cheque your PH if it is not 1.5 to 2.5 you have a problem .

start from their, trust me you did something wrong, if hair is starting to slip before it is in the pickle your going to have problems . If the skin is not thoroughly wet in the pickle, your going to have problems.

Be sure all your skins are always submerged.

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Broadhead – I think you are seriously missing the point others have tried to make here about pickling. The problems you are having don’t make logical sense! I know you’re looking for some kind of an excuse for what happened – but the Pickle shouldn’t be your problem!

First of all, Pickling is only one step in the Tanning process. It has almost negligable influence on the outcome after the cape is tanned. Photos only tell me the results - not the process and what you did – so they are worthless in this situation. Remember – after pickling you neutralize the cape – and by doing so you destroy the Saftee Acid’s (or any other Acid’s) influence later.

Ask yourself – was the hair falling out in my hands when I shaved the cape? If not, then don’t blame the pickle – you made a mistake later! Either in neutralizing, tanning or drying! I have sample pieces of WT Deerskins in my present pickle that have been there over 12 months – and they show no signs of slippage. I always like to have them ready for testing purposes! If what you’re saying is true – they should all be slipping – and they arent! I mix my formula the same way you do.

You never mentioned this – but do you first flesh, salt and dry your capes (like you would if you were sending them to a reputable Tannery to be tanned) prior to rehydrating and pickling them? Or do you just skip all that extra work and go straight into the pickle? If you skip it, especially on marginal capes – it could come back to haunt you when the cape dries after tanning and oiling! Sometimes it works – sometimes it don’t! It’s a little like the game Russian Roulette! Sometimes you win – and once in a while you lose!

RITTELS handle over 60 Drums (55 Gallons) of Saftee Acid a year. And its usually sold by us and our Distributors in Pints, Quarts, and Gallons. That said – we should have at the very least – 3300 to 26000 complaints like yours if it didn’t work correctly. But – we don’t!!! I can assure you, you and your friends are the extreme exceptions. The overwhelming majority of our customers tell us that Saftee Acid is an excellent Pickling Acid and they have no problems using it.

I find your accusations concerning your results using Saftee Acid hard to believe. Does it concern you that a lot of the posts already on here – don’t agree with you!

5. I myself have had zero problems with saftee acid. In fact I found a bucket in the corner of my shop that was a saftee acid pickle with a bobcat skin in it. Been there for months. The pH was a little high but the skin was fine. Tanned beautiful.

6. Felpy

Felpy New Member

I manage a small tannery in Alaska and we use SAFTEE Acid. We have tanned bear(black, brown, and polar),sea otter, seal, sealion, buffalo, deer, wolverine, lynx, coyote, wolf, mink, and marten and have had great success with SAFTEE Acid. That's not to say we haven't had hides slip. As an example we did a batch of deer hides (backskins)in January. Our deer season runs from Aug 1-Dec. 31 with the susistance season extention from Jan. 1-Jan. 31. This batch of hides consisted of some ruff looking earily hides, that I thuogh for sure would slip, and late season hides that looked to be in excellent shape. When this batch was finished a good portion of the late season hides had slipped and the ruff looking earily season hides came out perfect. All we could figure was the late season hides came from deer that were in the rut and surviving the extreme weather conditions of an Alaska winter and were in poor physical condition to begin with. SAFTEE Acid was not to blame.

7. Kenny

Kenny New Member

That would be funny, except you are blaming someone else for your own mistakes. I am new to taxidermy and have only tanned 15 to 20 hides & capes, I use safetee acid only and have had absolutly no problems. Why after years on the market are you the only one that starts complaining and blaming this one product. Smells a little fishy to me.

8. JohnW.

JohnW. Guest

Never ever had a problem-its one of the best products I've ever used.

9. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I have never had a problem with Saftee acid. Actually, I haven't had any negative results with any of Bruce's products.

10. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I wouldn't tan without it. Great stuff Bruce!

11. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Broadhead, do you use "city" water for your pickles? This could be the problem. Is your PH going up and you keep having to put more acid in? That was the ONLY time I had a problem with a pickle, when I had a shop in town and had "city" water. I am back to the well water here on the 10 acres and no problems. Water is treated to soften before I use it, but there is no clorine or anything like that added.

I have been using safety acid for several years now and I tan foxes- lots of them- one of the animals that is most notorious for slipping- and the only problems I have had are when the skin is the problem, NOT the pickle. I once skimped on salt drying- I salted and let the hide hang a day or 2 then put in rehydration- I ruined a nice red fox for mounting. Dry the hides completely before rehydrating and use something in the rehydration to kill bacteria ( bacteriacide).

I quit tanning deer capes in shop BTW, too much for me to do, I hate shaving etc, so they all go out and I used Carolina FD once again with wet tan this last season and the hides are EXCELLENT. All I tan in shop anymore are fox, coon, mink, coyote capes, things like that.

Now I have used a briny pickle ( added extra salt) on some skins skipping the salting step and so far no problems. I turn the hides totally inside out so the pickle will penetrate well. After 4-5 days they are looking pickled and I detail flesh them getting all underfat and membrane off. They come out white and pickled looking and firm feeling like they are suppossed to be. No slips so far. Did a dozen skunks, 5 grey fox, 2 huge coons this way, all ok, and have a huge beaver, some martens and a coon cape right now in the pickle same deal. One marten had a slip already and it has tightened down.

12. Mink

Mink New Member

I've used Saftee acid successfully on small hides (squirrel, rat, 'coon) but when I tried it on a deer hide, some of the hair slipped off.