1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pennsylvania State Taxidermy & Wildlife Art Championships 2010

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Ken Edwards, Nov 18, 2009.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Re: PA SHOW

I hope Bailey wears a purple snow bib on the slope.............she'll look just like Barney the Dinasour trying to ski!

2. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

if anyones bound to make an ass of themselves its you michael

3. michael p.

If anyone's bound to have the biggest ass it's you Bailey

4. Re: PA SHOW

IDK if i was going I'd probably be the one who would run into a tree lol

5. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

thats not even funny.lol I went with a group of kids from the high school and their teacher bought a tree.. killed him on the spot..il stay at the bar!

6. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

thats my plan... the bar part not the tree, that sucks

7. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

yeah it wasnt good riding the bus back with 50 crying teenagers.. it was sad for them to witness that. the bar sounds much better!

8. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

james just perked up when i said something about hitting the slopes. id rather fall off a barstool than down a mountain

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I never sit at the bar, its much easier just to slide to the floor!

10. michael p.

We are going to get James so drunk!! I don't even dring but will have a bar tab getting him plastered......I wanna see if us boys can keep you pissed all week! :)

11. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

im all for letting him have his fun but please dont encourage him, it gets ugly

12. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I think MP is gonna make sure you have your hands full Baily.lol

13. Re: PA SHOW

Ho much uglier can james get LOL

14. michael p.

I just spit tea up through my nose!!!! :) LMFAO!

15. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Man i want to go to this show so bad, but unfortunatly i cant afford it. So i think i will go to the GA show which is the same week and try my luck!

16. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

i hope it burned

17. Re: PA SHOW

LOL

18. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Pennsylvania Taxidermy Association getting great PR from Seven Springs PA>

This is posted by By Bob Frye, TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR
    Sunday, December 13, 2009

An event billed as the second-largest taxidermy exhibition in the world is coming to Southwestern Pennsylvania.

The Pennsylvania Taxidermy Association is, for the first time in years if not ever, holding its annual convention and trade show in this area. It's set for Seven Springs Mountain Resort near Champion on Feb. 25-27.

Taxidermists from around the country — past shows have drawn competitors from as many as 24 states — are expected to attend and submit their best work for the chance to win thousands of dollars in prizes.

"The Pennsylvania show is probably the largest state show in the country, and probably the second-largest taxidermy competition in the world. It's big," said Dan Snyder of Otter Creek Taxidermy in Greenville, Mercer County.

"And the quality of work you will see at the Pennsylvania show is as good as anything you will see at the World Show (World Taxidermy and Fish Carving Championships). It's phenomenal."

"Grandpa's old deer head hanging on the wall, that's how most people think of taxidermy," said Ray Kowalski of Kowalski Taxidermy in New Kensington. "I myself promote it as wildlife art. Some of the stuff these guys do really makes you stand back and say, 'Wow.'"

Sportsmen all over will be able to experience that for themselves this year. For the first time in recent memory, and perhaps ever, a portion of the show is being opened to the public free of charge. Hunters, anglers and anyone with an interest can stop by the show Saturday and tour the exhibit rooms where the mounts will be on display.

"This is a chance for us to show the public the quality of work that exists out there and to educate people on what taxidermy is all about," said Bob Hutchinson of Hutch's Taxidermy Den in Mt. Pleasant, who organized efforts to bring the show to the region.

That's more important than ever, he said. All taxidermists operating legally in the state must be licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. Unlike in the past, though, they do not need to pass a certification test. A check for $100 is all it takes to get a license, he said.

The taxidermy association has a voluntary certification program of its own, and works hard to train members and would-be members, he said. That's another goal of the show — to let taxidermists network and learn from one another.

But only about one-third of the licensed taxidermists in the state belong to the group. And with no mandatory certification, the result has been shoddy work done by people with inadequate training, he said.

"There are guys out there spraying hides down with WD-40 and stretching them over a form and calling it taxidermy," he said.

Hunters and anglers who attend the show can see quality work, and be armed with information when they take their trophy to get mounted, he said. Several world champion taxidermists from Pennsylvania and elsewhere are expected to compete.

All kinds of mounts — perhaps 300 to 400 or more, if past shows are any judge — will be on display, too, Snyder said.

"You never know what's going to be there," he said. "It goes from little lizards to 1,000-pound grizzly bears. There may even be some life-sized African pieces there this year. It just could be anything."

"We're hoping for a good show," Hutchinson said. "Hopefully, people from this area who wouldn't have traveled to Blair County will turn out and see the artistry that's out there."

19. michael p.

Re: Pennsylvania Taxidermy Association getting great PR from Seven Springs PA>

Awesome article Frank....I was talking on the phone with Nickie Chadwick earlier when I ordered some panels and she's as excited as I am! I'm bringing 2 folk's with me, The lil'mexican & Kyle, the young man that works for me. I can't wait!!

20. Re: Pennsylvania Taxidermy Association getting great PR from Seven Springs PA>

Can't wait to be there and check out the new location....just got back tonight from buying 70 board ft of black walnut for my display....now I just have to get busy on my pieces. Frank if there is any way I could promote the event to my local paper please let me know....I am in Western PA...any info or guidelines whatever I can do.