1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

VA vocational rehab?

Discussion in 'Training' started by joe511s, Nov 19, 2009.

1. joe511s

joe511s Member

Hello, my name is Joe and I'm retired Army with an 80% disability rating. I am enrolled fir the spring class in the Montana School of taxidermy. I talked to the voc rehab counselor yesterday and he said he has never seen VA voc rehab pay for taxidermy school in the 8 years he has been there. Is there anyone out there who has done this? If so please give me some advice. Thanks.

2. sid

sid New Member

Joe check your pm cindy

3. bowhtr003

bowhtr003 New Member

Joe,
    Let me know what you find out on this. I'll be applying for the same benefit soon if my GI bill does not cover taxidermy courses.

r/
    George

4. joe511s

joe511s Member

I think voc rehab is better than the GI Bill because they will pay for supplies as well

5. I was approved in 1995, but just like the Marine Corps (which I love dearly) I got the big green weenie. Hope your the exception and good luck!

6. sid

sid New Member

Rehab will cover taxidermy school as long as the school is a vendor set up in their system. Iam a school second creation.com I take reg. rehab students all the time. caal or write if you have any questions 913-422-3111 or [email protected]

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

We take Voc Rehab and VA students on a regular basis because we are approved and are set up as a vendor with the State of Montana.

8. joe511s

joe511s Member

have you ever had students who delt with the counselor in Billings? Which school is yours?

9. joe511s

joe511s Member

oh, I see it ...second Nature School of Taxidermy

10. YOu need to take SIDS info to your counselor.. most counselors dont have any idea.

11. joe511s

joe511s Member

Is the voc rehab VA or srate?

12. joe511s

joe511s Member

What is SIDS?

13. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Second Nature is approved to accept VETERANS and GI BILL benefits

We are also an approved Training Provider for Title I WIA adult and dislocated worker funding

Heres some contact info for someone who can answer your questions.

Thomas Cummins
    Veterans Education Program Manager
    888 231-9393
    [email protected]

14. DDCalls

DDCalls New Member

This is an on-going issue with the VA! I was originally declined but have since been approved. They make you jump through some serious hoops here in Oregon. If your councelor gives you a bunch of garbage call the State main office.

David

15. joe511s

joe511s Member

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to the DAV today and told them I may have a potential problem and they told me to collect success stories and get stats, so if there are any VA voc rehab people out here I'd like to get your success stories..Thanks

16. joe511s

joe511s Member

Thanks, i will give him a call on Monday

17. bowhtr003

bowhtr003 New Member

I'll keep all this information that you all have passed along. Joe, if you get any more details or success stories please share.

Thanks all,
    George

18. joe511s

joe511s Member

Will do, I havent heard of any yet though.

19. timberliner

timberliner New Member

Joe,
    I did it. I got 60% disability and went to school in Pennsylvania. I am from Colorado. They paid me a living stipend and then enrolled me into an OJT program and paid me for another year. They bought me all the innitial supplies and coordinated the OJT thru my employer. The trick is finding an employer who is willing to go thru the BS. It worked out well for me and I have been full time Taxidermying for 4 years now. Stay on course and MAKE the VA do their job. The catch is..as others have told you...it must be a VA approved vender. E-mail me if you want.... I live in Germany now and commute back and forth doing my taxidermy job and living as a tourist in Germany. [email protected]

20. That's the problem Timberliner, YOU have to make them do there jobs because they won't unless you are on their ass constantly. I've figured this out since being medically retired (15 yrs). There is hope but you have to NOT be a nice guy and treat them like your C.O. or anyone in your chain of command, they are not! They work for you, make them work and BE the squeaky wheel.