1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

VA vocational rehab?

Discussion in 'Training' started by joe511s, Nov 19, 2009.

1. joe511s

joe511s Member

Thanks man, Im about to send you an email, it will be from [email protected] so dont think its spam

2. I went to Stony Hills Taxidermy School (Minnesota) in 2007 through Vocational Rehab. It took me about a year to get through all the paperwork but it was worth it. They not only paid for my school, they paid for all my supplies plus about $2000.00 worth of tools. To top it off, I got a check a month for three months after I graduated so I could get my business up and running. It is well worth the effort.

3. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

I did it not at a school but a particular studio it worked out great it was something my councelor was familar with he was the one that reffered me to that studio.

4. I went to school thru voc rehab, but they sent me through the independent living program. They paid for everything, plane fare, food allowance @ $35. a day, room and board, shipping all my mounts back to GA. And after I Graduated from school they bought everything I need to set up shop,including this computer. All states are different; Steve (owner of the school I went to said that a fellow from Montana went to school shortly after I did and all they paid for was the school

5. joe511s

joe511s Member

I had my second meeting with my counselor the 1st week of Jan and he said everything should be fine. It took me calling his supervisor after the 1st meeting and causing a stink. If I hadnt done that there was no way it would have been approved.

6. bowhtr003

bowhtr003 New Member

It looks like you have to be the squeaky wheel with the VA to get anything done. Ill be retiring in a year and a half and going through the same process. Stay with it and good luck Joe. Keep the tips handy for me.

George

7. joe511s

joe511s Member

How did you get them to give you a pay check for 3 months? My counselor said that I had to get a job for at least 90 days after Im done with school

8. Not sure - I didn't even know I was going to get the extra money until the counselor went through all the paperwork with me just before I went to the school.

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I attended this school I really wouldn't recommend it! and I can give you a few other contacts that will say the same thing! pm me if you would like.

10. joe511s

joe511s Member

Please tell me

11. joe511s

joe511s Member

Can you give me the name and number of your counselor? PM me if you want

12. solocam79

solocam79 New Member

i am also going thru this right now just had my first appt the other day in the state of indiana i have been disabled for two years now and am really interested in some information from those who have gone thru it

13. joe511s

joe511s Member

Gather all the info that you can. Use quotes from this forum, call taxidermist in your area, you need all the ammo you can get your hands on to take to the counselor

14. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

You asked Me in a PM why I wouldn't recommend this school I feel I should answer here to everyone why even though it might be the wrong thing to do...
    The school is run by Jeff Welch & his wife Jody that he acquired from his first taxidermy class. when I went he was going through a divorce, prior to going he advertised as he still does today that you will learn how to sculpt, and mold forms,,, this was simply tossing some clay on a boughten form and pirating it!! his shop attic was full of pirated molds.. this I can prove because I wrote down the form supplier and numbers as well as I have a book full of photos proving piracy..the materials we used were all pirated forms..as well as moulded Jonas and Mohr jawsets using dental powders in the molds... this I also have photos of somewhere as well as classmates that would attest to his activities..He had enough complaints at one time to ban him from advertising in some magazines..There was a young gentleman from Great Falls,MT that has a lot of other complaints and issues..there may be a reason why the VA wont help you go to his school today there were issues in my class with someone attending there through the VA so I'm sure this could have something to do with it..his fish at the time I was there was very week in my opinion, all of his materials were dated simply because he molded things over time and some forms were 70's era...he will promise you a lot I did learn some stuff there but it was not worth my time or money...do some homework, ask for references, he leaves out a few years worth of references and if you ask for references from the year I was there he will tell you he didn't have a class that year or you wont get a legit list of names that were there. you may get one from Oklahoma that in fact was there but there is a reason why he would give a good reference, it may just be the very reason why you cant get them to assist you in finances...

15. solocam - the biggest thing I found going through this is don't give up. It took me about a year's worth of paperwork and meetings before I was approved. One of the hardest things I had to come up with was a business plan. I'd never done one before, but after a lot of internet searching and head scratching I had one that was about eight pages long, and it worked. Sometimes it seems like a bunch of BS, but I think the VA is trying to weed out the people who just want a free ride and some money.

16. joe511s

joe511s Member

robsev they told me they would not help me start a bussiness. They said I had to get a job for 90 days after school. How did you get them to do that for you?

17. joe511s

joe511s Member

thanks for the info coonhollow. I will do some research

18. I didn't ask for it or expect anything. The VA counselor just explained to me that I would get 1 payment a month for 3 months.

19. See Troy Rose in Idaho, he will teach!!!

20. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I was sent to Taxidermy school through the In. State FSSA . program. They also helped set up my shop by suppling me with eguipment. Fleshers. Tanner. Tumbler.
    I had to jump through hoops to get it. But they really helped once I was aproved.