1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

VA vocational rehab?

Discussion in 'Training' started by joe511s, Nov 19, 2009.

1. sid

sid New Member

www.secondcreation.com Iam in kansas city kansas and I do take va rehab. people 913-422-3111 or [email protected]

2. joe511s

joe511s Member

I started today,just hopes the VA holds up on their end. I would really like to know the tricks of how to get them to pay for some equipment for the shop.

3. Del

Del New Member

Montana School of Taxidermy in Helena, MT is set up to take VA students. Jeff Welch is the owner. His website is montanaschooloftaxidermy.com

4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

We get several VA students every year,and im convinced that the VA operates like the insurance company whose policy is to initially deny all claims even though there is no basis to do so.
    You have to keep on your VA reps and go over thier heads if necessary. The benefits are yours and they dont have any right to keep you from using them, but you need to keep pushing for whats yours. Like any other government entity, the VA is rife with convoluded paperwork and policies.

5. joe511s

joe511s Member

Finished up the 1st month of scool and LOVE it. This is a great school. Thanks everyone for the help for me to get here.

6. bowhtr003

bowhtr003 New Member

Joe,
    What school are you going too unless I missed it on the thread? I'll be retiring October of next year so Ill be going through the same thing with the VA. I've been taking notes on what you have been doing and seeing all the advice you get from this website so maybe things will role a little easier for me. But than again we are talking about the VA. LOL

R/
    George

7. joe511s

joe511s Member

George, I am going to the Montana School of Taxidermy and love it. I am so glad I chose this school. You just have to make the VA do their job, I had to talk to the boss man. Good luck on your retirement, life is so good after you cross the finish line.

Joe

8. DDCalls

DDCalls New Member

I feel your pain!!!!!! I fought with the VA for 4 years and finally won this week. It took 2 phone calls to the man before my case worker finally got off his rearend and did something.

9. Goes to show how some people get in one of these government jobs and then get lazy. They like to send a person to college with Voc Rehab because it's not near as much work. Getting someone started in a business is a lot more work on their end. My counselor here in SD was excellent. He got me stuff I wasn't even expecting and then some. Never once even questioned going over his head.

10. joe511s

joe511s Member

Did your counselor want you to get a job after school or was he cool with you opening a shop? What kind of stuff did he get you?

11. DDCalls

DDCalls New Member

Mine expects me to get a job. I am opening a shop either way.

12. From day one it was all about having my own business. The hardest thing I had to do in the whole program was making a business plan. There are a lot of examples on the internet, but none for a Taxidermy business. Mine was 8 pages when finished. As far as tools, he told me to take the Van Dykes catalog and make a list. I quit at a little over $2000.00 worth - started feeling a little guilty. They approved it immediately and I took drove my pickup down to the warehouse and loaded it up. I think if I would have doubled the amount they still would have approved it. They said one of the rules was they could only buy tools that were specific for taxidermy - nothing like computers or freezers or air compressors.

13. joe511s

joe511s Member

Did they pay for your school too? They tell me they will pay for training only if I get a job afterwards. They said they cant do much on the business side. I dont plan on getting a job, I already have a shop and all I need now is the equipment. What state did you do yours in? I know each one is different.

14. Yes, they paid for my school, too. I went through the VA in South Dakota. That's weird - it's a federal program so you would think they would all be the same. When I applied they said it didn't matter if you were getting a job or starting a business, the money was there for whatever you wanted to do.

15. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

We just signed up a guy for our July class thats going with VA benefits. They are paying 100%, plus lodging and also giving him 10 grand to start his business.

16. Piper.08

Piper.08 New Member

If ya'll dont mind me asking, how much disability are you guys getting. I too am a Disabled Vet 50% and I was just recently diagnosed with PTSD so my compensation will go up. I called Voc. Rehab people yesterday and got the run around. I will try and call again hopefully talk to different person

17. joe511s

joe511s Member

I think 40% is all you need to qualify, get with your counselor and start the process...its takes a few months

18. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=209246.0

19. I'm getting 30% and I was eligible. I'm pretty sure the 30% is the magic number.

20. bowhtr003

bowhtr003 New Member

30% is what they are telling us in the Transition Assistant Program in Virginia so it should be the same for all states. Has anyone gone through the N.C VA for the REHAB program? That's the state I'll be going through the VA for so I'm curious on what they will pay for. I do agree all states should be the same.

R/
    George