1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

SOBO Glue???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by taxidermygirl, Nov 23, 2009.

1. taxidermygirl

taxidermygirl Member

I have been using SOBO glue on the fins of fish for years and they have always been soft, supple an flexible, and clear drying. The last fish that I did, the fins turned just as brittle as ever. I just recieved a few bottles of glue. Has anyone else had this happen, did they change the formula, or maybe I got a bad batch? Any other recomendations for flexible fin products? Thanks!

2. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

tuff fin is best . and I used triple thick brush on as a fin cream on my last skin mount with very good results. Tuff fin got left open by someone in my shop. I dont have a clue as to who but I blame the other guy in my one man team LOL

last time I used sobo glue the gloss coat cracked after being on the wall for a month or two. and it did it on three fish that were done at the same time. Maybe I did something wrong but it kept me from trying again. I have used mod podge in a bind too it doesn't ( Or I dont remember it doing so) react against the borax like the sobo glue does so I feel it is probably ok.

3. The cheap siliconized acrylic latex caulk works fine.... Silicinized is the way its blended, no silicone in the product. There are some other product int eh caulking line that work great. Big Stretch in clear is excellent.

4. Yes i had the same problem and noticed that there was a pearl cas to the glue i wounder if they have a bad datch.I had it happen with two bottles in a row now im trying luster flx form tasco and love it.One coat very plyable .

5. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

SOBO glue is just really Elmers glue. I'm with the Tuf-fin crowd. Excellent product.

6. I have never tried SOBO glue. I have always used Van Dykes Fin Flex which is also pretty much Elmers glue but I think has more flex. It dries crystal clear and I even coat my fish with it after painting before gloss. ??? ??? :eek: ::)

7. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I've used luster-flex for years. I've also used sobo, clear latex, mod podge, etc., etc. NOTHING is better than luster-flex. IMO

8. Ron K

Ron K New Member

I,m with the Lustre-flex crowd, great product.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I use either Derma Something fin coating or Tuffin. I like both depending on the application. When I want a a heavier coat, I go with the Tuffin. The only problems I've had are some occasional small bubbles with the Tuffin. Anybody else notice this?

10. sobo is the best did you use any silk span

11. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Sobo leaves bubbles.

12. fishhead990

fishhead990 Grinning about the 16 lb steelhead you can't see!

Sobo works well with water based paints but will cause problems with laquer. Fish art, I use tuffin and only get bubbles when trying to use it too thin or when plastering it on. The bubbles usually come from the brush not the product. If the brush gets air trapped in it squeeze the brush clean with a damp cloth and get after it.

13. I use mod podge! It has always left the fins very flexible, dries clear, and paints very good!

14. lizardrib

lizardrib New Member

WI
    Had the same problem as well. I called delta creative today to see what the deal is. She said that it is a new formula.

15. Its not made for fish fins. LOL

16. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I have used Sobo Glue, Ultra Seal, Tuffin, Polytranspar Fin Backing Cream (syliconized acrylic latex caulk) and Lustre Flex. They have all worked well. But for competition and fin repair I use the Lustre Flex. I use Sobo or Tuffin on customer work depending on what I have at the time. I have never had bubbles using Sobo or any other problems. The thing that is nice about Sobo is that you can buy it locally at a craft or hobby store.

17. lizardrib

lizardrib New Member

WI
    neither is siliconized acrylic latex caulk.

18. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

You might want to try this product.
    http://www.kastaway.com/Video.cfm?file=Web_Fin_Fix.wmv