1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lowballers

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Joe Simmons, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Becky he's right about the midwest we are s different breed my biggest buck this yr was shot by a guy who printed his license off the internet the night before managed to dig 5 shotgun shells out of a dusty old cardboard box when out to a cabin his buddy owns and digs his gun out that has sat in the case untouched for over 2 yrs and kills this thing 15 minute after legal shooting hrs wearing his oily carharts from work and a flannel jacket. Stories similar to this are 99% of our customers here in my neck of the midwest anyways.

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

For the most part in Texas, you either life and breath hunting/fishing or you don't do either at all.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

For the most part hunting is just a natural occurance here most people do it to feed their families I do have a few guys like what you are talking about but it only lasts till the first gun season and then they don't really hunt much all the farm boys start driving deer at noon the first day and after that you have to be one lucky sob do see a decent buck during daylight. LOL

4. cwt

cwt Active Member

NO NO Becky you never called me a hack but it has been said on here before that people who DO NOT charge a certain amount are hacks sorry for the confusion. Yeah around here especially where I live it is suburbs/rural I guess you would call it and most of the time if you ask the land owner and do trading work for hunting they let you hunt hell they want them all gone. There is a bass pro 20 minutes from my house and the only time i buy anything there is if I have a gift certificate. usually wal mart or it is giving to me for gifts. And yes I did say I was 325.00

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

JSUT TO CLARIFY,,, hACKS= VERY SUBSTANDARD WORK,,, LIKELY TO BE FOUND ON EBAY.... ;D
    lowballers= those charging prices at 1970 levels..... ;)

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

1970's? there is no way I could do a deer head for $95 ;D

7. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

new 4x4's,4 wheelers.........Loans..over 5-6 years...i know a buttload of people that "hunt" got new trucks for hunting 4 wheelers and live in a TRAILER!~ they are the showoffs that actually rarely kill ANYTHING. IMO people that are out of jobs or have suffered hours cuts are not even gonna walk in your shop because they know first off that they are pressed for money,so have my deer mounted or eat...hmm no brainer...i can see where it COULD be frustrating if someone was lowballing you as ya say but comeon, you know maybe its someone making something off of it,getting his work in front of people,getting a good name, building clientel, then raising prices..just a thought..if your sooo worried about the stability of income a career change might be in play here, afterall you are talking about your livelihood here..and in all reality what do these same post do for anything?? nothing.....either do something different or prepare to kic rocks on down the road......it seems like that you would have to be part-timer persay first to become a full timer....because every part-time customer will later be a regular if you treat them right....

i just dont understand...you know if your covered with work then you dont care, but apparently workload must be kinda low for people to get mad about the man getting work but charging less...and WHO is say what someone is worth??if i said i want 300 dollars then thats what IM worth...the point is people are not all dumb if the guy doing it for 250 looks good and your at 475.00 ...........then reasoning kicks in...soandso can do it for 250.00 why is soandso charging 475.00..i dont know about ya'lls part of the country but here people would think the 475.00 one is pulling one on them.....im not saying worry about yourself strictly but some things are best that way.

bottom line if someone is strapped for cash but really wants their deer mounted they are going the cheap way out

8. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

and you can say you dont want those kind of customers??if they pay the deposit, you mount the deer,and they "dont" pick it up(you did a quality job right?) then you got another piece for your showroom free of charge with just time invested....whos to say that the hard woking man that doesnt have his seams busting open with money wont come back??only way i'd turn money down is face down...........

9. Becky P

Bottom line, if they are THAT strapped for cash, they should have used the money they went hunting on for paying their bills or a side of beef (at least in this area anyway because you don't hunt free here).

Almost all the taxidermists are down in numbers around here, not due to the economy but due to two years of drought - they aren't seeing anything worth mounting.

I have quite a few customers on a fixed income that just make payments until it's paid. In 17 years I've only been stuck with one mount.

The only way you are making anything at 250 is if you are cheating Uncle Sam, cheating yourself, or both. Either you're not paying taxes, or you're not figuring in everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, it costs to mount a deer (cheating yourself), or you're working yourself to death (again cheating yourself and family). I KNOW, I did it for about 4 years. Then one day I sat down and figured everything and realized I was working for nothing, in reality McDonald's would've paid better. I hadn't ever figured ALL of my overhead because I worked out of my house. I didn't have any insurance on customers stuff or liabilty on them for that matter (homeowners wouldn't cover it as a business). I know, I've been there, we started out cheap, 1) because you gotta start somewhere, right? and 2) we thought we'd get rich, it only cost $50 to mount a head at the time - until you figure EVERYTHING in that is.

Maybe we should all go on welfare and do taxidermy as a charity for all these poor people that can't afford a deer mount.

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

if the dumbasses vote Obamma in for another term that may just become a reality. LOL

11. Becky P

Nah, Harley, there won't be any guns or ammo to hunt with and he'll probably ban archery too if he lets PETA have their way.

12. bowhuntr

bowhuntr Member

in most industries when a new company starts up they do not charge the highest prices around, but on the other hand the well established company down the road does not complain about his prices. if you have treated your customers well and built a good customer base as any good business does then what they charge down the road should not matter. and i am also sure that everyone on here opened their business at the highest prices in the area.if the guy down the street is not making any money at his prices or is losing money he will not be there long anyway. he will either be broke or get tired of working min. wage or less to do anyone's mounts. any good business man knows you must prepare for the ups and downs...whether that is the economy or the new guy down the road at lower prices trying to start up. treat you customers like you want to be treated, do something extra for them that sets you apart from the next guy and the rest will take care of itself. after all this is as much a customer service business as it is a product business. and maybe as becky pointed out...maybe you should be upset at the customers for not wanting to pay your price not the guy down the street. if you are mad at him maybe it is because you are feeling insecure about your on work or business habits. and do you go out to buy a tv or a car and try to find the highest price one to buy...i think probably not...jmo

13. mk

mk -30 below

IL

CWT-

Here's what i got from your post here, To me sounds like you have a bunch of buddies because YOU ARE A CHEAP WHORE, just like the popular girl at the bar where all the guys know she's easy and puts out -she's the one getting the attention. You are no different and apparently you like the attention-so more power to you. LMAO

And to the rest- I like how you use the phrase "I'm low because I'm building my clientel" Hmmm..... so what happens when you go up in price in a few years are they going to use you again or did they just use you cause you were cheap? Which is it guys? And if you see another guy whose getting more than you but you think his quality sucks-then why would you be less than him? wouldn't you say man his work sucks and he's $300 with my work i can get at least $400...., but no you say ahhh I'll just be $300 or $275... ::)

14. RDA

RDA Active Member

POINT ONE NO ONE IS MAD HERE....I do not post on these threads due to tht.....I post as always to be a help to the industry I LOVE.........You MUST think long term here.....MOST OF YOU ON THIS SIGHT do not have the history or knowledge of the past.....Sorry if that ruffles feathers, but none the less the case.... There have never been more dermists in this counrty than now.....Yet most are fairly new and have not expiriened the industry on levels other than their surrounding areas....

Three years ago, I was working for a commercial shop in reno and the price for shoulder mounsts was 700 to 750. When folks called they said sounds good- seems to be the going rate......Fast forward to yesterday: got a call, told him the price and got HO:LEY SCHMOLEY thats expensive!! "seems like the going rate is 400 to 450 !!??????????????? If you dont see an alarming trend here,,,,,,,seek medical attention for your eyes....... :D

15. Becky P

In my experience, a few stayed with me and are still with me today. The others moved on to the next lowballer that came along, and the cycle continues..... (oh, and it wasn't because those people couldn't afford my price, I know what a few make because I know where they work - it was because they are cheapasses. One gets his done for 150 and gets back half turned ears and thinks it looks great)

16. bowhuntr

bowhuntr Member

i love this place...where else can you talk out you frustrations and still be friends:)

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

In bed, (with the wife of course)

18. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    LOL, Bob we all know she beats the hell outta you when you act up. ;D

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO SHHHHHH :D

20. Becky P

LOL, hey for a change I do have some work but I'm waiting on supplies to get here. You won't see me much next week ;)

Well at least this a break from the Krowtann arguments and politics.

Y'all have a save and happy Thanksgiving. I'm going hunting, gotta try out Waterdude Rick's deer pee ::)