1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie Brush on tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Annageckos, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Annageckos

Annageckos Nevada enjoying a deer head

NJ/PA
    First I want to say, I have never tanned anything. I have only mounted a couple of squirrels and smaller animals so I have used DP for them. I want to try tanning and was thinking of trying McKenzie's brush on tan. Has anyone used this? Opinions? What else would I need, pickle right? In the catalog they rec. McKenzie Ultimate Acid, would this be a good choice? Would I need any kind of oil for the skin? If so what kind/brand? I am hopping to try this on a squirrel or two first then hope to get a fox to use this on. Would this would for a fox or larger animal? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Anna

2. If you're only doing little critters, dp would be fine. Krowtann is the best option for anything smaller than a coyote.After watching Rick Carters mounting a whitetail shoulder mount A-Z, I'm considering w/t deer also in krowtann. If you opt for the brush on tan, I like to use formic acid or saftee acid for the pickle. And you only need to oil your skins if it is for a rug or anything that needs to stay soft. Rick

3. Nelson_from_maine

Nelson_from_maine New Member

I am not sure if Trappers (or Hunters) deer hide tanning formula is a real tan or not but I have used it many time with excellant results. It's a one step process and no pickle is needed. If you try it you might like it. Follow the directions exactly on any tanning product you use.

4. Annageckos

NJ/PA
    Thanks killinfillit and Nelson_from_maine. I will look into your suggestions. Anyone that has tried the brush on tan?

Anna

5. I use Krowtann myself but have used a brush on called DIXIETAN which was quite a nice smelling sassafras odored tan...the hides i did (deer) came out nice and white but i find it somewhat hard to get , not sure if the guys went out of business or changed their names...so i stick with krowtann now..
    I find the ph balancing and stuff for pickles and acids too much work.

6. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I use the McKenzie tan.

I like it.

never had a problem with slippage.

you can get a Mckenzie tanning kit. that will do two average deer cape. the only problem is you need to shave the hide down after 3 days in the pickle.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

What a crock. First off, always checked the "SEARCH" block before you ask a question. We've had lengthy discussion on this and enough to form a website on Krowtann. You don't need to tan coyotes for mounting lifesize. DP will work exceptionally well if the hide is fleshed and washed properly before you start. EVERY TAN and PRESERVATIVE METHOD is going to have its advocates. YOU will need to decide for yourself which one YOU prefer.

To answer your question explicitly, Anna, Ken Walker used LiquiTan (a paint on tan) to mount his World Championship Ringtail cat, Panda bear recreation, and Irish elk recreation. I"m not in the same area code or phone book as Ken, but I use JRTS paint on tans and have for years without ever having an issue.

8. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I have used liqua tan for years with out any problems .

9. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

George you think all newbies should have to take a training corse in useing the search bar,,,LOL. I think they have beat the krowtan issue to death.

10. msc

msc New Member

Tn
    I use the McKenzie brush on tan frequently I like the stuff and pleasant ordor
    krowtan not bad but i am still a skeptic on it
    Mckenzie ultimate acid is the same as the saftee acid
    also everything said is already in the archives start searching and read all you can
    good luck

11. Annageckos

NJ/PA
    Thanks. I know I don't NEED to tan a yote, but I would like to at least TRY it because, well, I want to. I also never asked about Krowtan.

12. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

McKenzie tan is a good tan. I know of several reputable,high volume shops that use it exclusively. Make sure you degrease the coyote.....for sure.

13. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

I see DP mentioned a few times. Sorry for being ignorant but what is it?

14. George

Dry Preservative

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Little harsh don't you think George. The thread is titled McKenzie Brush-on Tan. Why would they do a search for Krotann?

16. George

Cole, my response was to elkhunter 1313 with his usual BS.

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Well, elkie finds pH monitoring very confusing and complicated, so talk slow around him and don't use big words.

18. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Aint that the truth.

19. If you guys would bother to READ the whole post i made i simply stated the only BRUSH-ON tan i have used was called DIXIETAN...and i found it to be nice and easy...and it works...only I cannot seem to find it anymore, as i bought two bottles of the powder on Ebay but in a search for it further cannot seeem to find a company that either makes or distributes it...
    I was not advocating krowtann

20. I use all of mckenzies tanning products and love um! I have had excellent results with them. They are safe to use and are compatible with a lot of other tanning products!