1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie Brush on tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Annageckos, Nov 24, 2009.

1. JLM

JLM Member

I use the McKenzie brush on as well. Works great, but just like all tans if you dont prep the hide correctly, ie... remove all meat, membrane, fat, and shave thin enough then it wont work as well.

I have also used a few others including Krowtan. Its a matter of preference really, how fast you like to work and the options you have for discarding the pickle/tan like Krowtan.

I have found that the brush on tan works great as long as the hide is properly thined. Thats my 2 cents worth.

2. I would not be against trying McKenzie's Brush-on tan if it works like DixieTan...question...since it is apparently not a submersible tan like the citric acid formulas...how to do you keep the hide/cape/skin from drying out while it is being tanned...or do you ...and the rehydrate after tan is done and mount?

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Elkie ....it would be beyond you. There is a pickle involved & you would need to dip a pH strip or 2 in the solution. I know you cant handle all that.
    Tell me more about the "citric formula tans". Even just name some of them for me so I can research them. I know Cole & George would be interested too.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm always willing to learn new things. I'd be very interested in hearing more about the citric tans.

5. I use mckenzie products and love them all. They are simple to use and have amazing results. I reccomend them to anybody!

6. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

Dixieland sells a kit called Dixie Tan, but it doesn't appear to be a brush-on tan. Their number is: 1-800-465-4577

7. bill@hogheaven

Wheres the citric tan info?

8. Carl is it the sassafrass smelling stuff? it comes in a powder base...you add water shake it up...pour in on the hide and rub it in a bit like salting....

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

ROTFLMAO Another DIY "spray tan". DP is cheaper.

10. bill@hogheaven

It cant be the citric Tan I want Elkie to teach me about. Not smelling like sassafras.

11. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

I have no idea. I just happen to have their catalog at hand when I read this.