1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull whitening methods - What's best?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rhasputin, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I've heard that chlorine bleach is bad.
    But hair bleach is good?
    And peroxide will whitten too?
    Anything else? :p

I've always used peroxide, but I also work with alot of small, delicate skulls that I could never trust to any sort of bleach, hair or otherwise.

Any other methods you like to use?
    What's your favorite method?

Thanks! :)

2. Once skull is clean I spray it with 40% peroxide I get from supply company and wrap in a black plastic bag for at least 24hours in a warm dry place.Once I take the wrap off I dry the skull in the drying room and spray with a gloss to give it a shine.I use this method on deer skulls to skunk skulls and works everytime.

3. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

You can get the 40% peroxide from Sally's beauty supply they seem to be near walmarts pretty cheap. If you have a business license you can get 50% peroxide. It's thick like elmers glue. I just paint in on w/a paint brush and let it sit overnight or longer if you want. I'll wrap the skull in papertowel sometimes before applying to make sure the areas stay wet....you can get them snow white for sure. I've even used the 4% peroxide from grocery stores and got skulls real white too....it takes alot more contact time though.....gary

4. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Why would you want to give it a shine?

5. I second that... Why sould you want it to shine? xD

6. Gary A

I use Krylon triple thick on all of my euro mounts and my customers ABSOLUTELY love it. It looks like glass on the skull. It's a personal preference I guess. I'll ask them if they want them done like that first though. I'd still use a flat sealer on the skull if they didn't want the shine.

7. I can see it looking nice on some skulls.
    If you have some pictures of the ones with the clear coat on them, I'd love to see them! :p

As for sealing the skull... How important is it to seal them?

8. Gary A

In my opinion sealing the skull is like putting wax on a car...it keeps it looking good longer. Even a flat or satin sealer will keep things looking the same longer. If the skull was bleached I feel the sealing is critical or you'll continue to see flecks of the skull fall off for years. The peroxide is WAY better to whiten then bleach...alot less damaging.

9. Do you mean peroxide is better than chlorine bleach or hair bleach, or both? :O

10. Gary A

The 40% or 50% peroxide from the beauty supply shop is the best stuff I've ever used. Bleach (Clorox) is really corrosive and damages the skulls.

11. Ohhh so by 40% 50% you mean the hair stuff? :)

12. Gary A

Yes, the 40% or 50% peroxide is from the beauty supply shop and I figure it's used to "bleach" hair.

13. Yeah, that's the bleach they use on hair. :)

Fancy. Thanks!