1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Log Book

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by feather2009, Nov 25, 2009.

1. feather2009

feather2009 Member

OK so i just turned 18 and got all my taxidermy licenses and stuff for birds, but no one really told me what to put in my log book when i receive a bird from someone else? also do have have to put birds i shot into my log book?

Thanks

2. meopilite

meopilite New Member

MN
    Name of the hunter, license number, address, date taken. For your own birds, no, if the game warden finds stuff in your freezer with no tag indicating the owner, its assumed to be yours. And in which case you better have a hunting license for and not be over possession limit on your own stuff.

3. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

Here are a few things your log book should have in it;
    JOB NUMBER- each species you get in should have its own ID number to separate one from another
    CLIENTS NAME, ADDRESS, AND PHONE NUMBER
    SPECIES- Canvasback, Mallard, Woody
    TYPE OF MOUNT- flying, standing, nesting
    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS & INFORMATION- Here is where I wright in any information the client has given me about how he wants his mount to look - facing a certain way, special things in the habitat, etc.
    measurements, neck length. etc.
    DATE BROUGHT IN - DATE PROMISED - DATE SKINNED - DATE MOUNTED - DATE FINISHED - DATE NOTIFIED - DATE PICKED UP
    DATE DEPOSIT PAID
    DATE BALANCE PAID

yes, you need to put this information in your log book if you receive a bird from anyone, and if its in your shop, its better to have a record of your birds in there too

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I run a seperate log book for my personal stuff just so I know what I"VE got LOL

5. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Aren't those questions already in the log book?

6. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

in a pre-printed log book...Yes.
    Many folks just use a reciept book and write all the info in there, lots less headache logging federal birds in a pre-printed book, that way I dont foreget something I needed to write down, and easier for the wardens if they stop by.

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I copied and modified a form from a breakthrough manuel.

8. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Il has an example right in their taxidermy handbook that tells all the rules and regs I pretty much copied it word for word pluss added a few areas for notes and poses and size so I was able to combine a work order with a log book entry.

9. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

go to your states game commission website under permits they should have exactly what info you need to get from the hunter after a kill but most of the taxidermy tags you can buy from taxidermy suppliers have everthing you need on them good luck

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Half of those answers are bogus. Follow Tim's advice AFTER you read the 50CFR regulations that you'll need AFTER you get your Federal Migratory Waterfowl license. The fed require specific items and you state may require additional items to those federal requirements. A silly assed duck mis-documented can cost you many times over what a poached deer or bear might.

11. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

george is right... the feds are gonna come down on you alot harder for a 2 LB bird thans a state will for a poached lifesize deer. plus a state violation is a federal violation.