1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm going to dethrone John Lager next year

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AndyO, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Yup, it's time his streak comes to an end. What's it been, six or seven, best all around taxidermist awards in a row now? Sorry John, nothin' personal :-[

Haven't decided what species I should beat him with.... ??? Thinkin': w/t shoulder, l/s coyote, mallard and LMB (toughest judged species)

2. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Andy it's nine times.Good luck.

3. Not next year or even the next. Someone slap that boy and wake him up. He s dreaming

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

John is a good taxidermist, but some of you aren't the sharpest tack in the pack. John actually WAS a rocket scientist of sorts.

First off, very few people are interested in getting the anatomy that clean on 4 types of mounts. That was winning idea #1. When no one competes, its always easier.

Neither was John but he figured out the system and he used the system to win. That was idea #2.

The system he beat was the actual mount to be entered.

Mountain goat - long hair, impossible to be judged on "details", work on eyes, earbutts and horn glands.

Winter ptarmigan - bigg fluffy white bird that can squat down over feathered legs

Squirrel - use Aberts and Kaibab's. No one sees them that often and the WOW factor takes over

And FINALLY, the walleye. Check your anatomy, keep the filler to a minimum, mist over the repair work, mist over the scale detail from above with transpar brown and from below with silver pearl, gloss and you're done.

So Andy, if you're sincere, those are the 4 specimen to use. That will cover large game, small game, bird, and reptile/fish. Forget the others as they have individual problems that can bite you. OH, and BTW, it wouldn't hurt for you to have a cabinet shop where you can build custom stands for the mounts either.

I'm actually surprised that John even competes any longer now that Tohickon got tired of giving him a years worth of free eyes.

5. PWS

PWS Active Member

Streak ended this year at 9 according to:

http://www.taxidermy.net/nta09/

6. Crap, it does appear Stan Gross already dethroned him :mad:

Thought I read somewhere John won again this year.

Now what???????????????

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

You could always try and dethrone Stan.

8. PWS

PWS Active Member

George... Just re-read your response and it's kind of insulting to both John and the judges...

John has taken the time and energy to focus on certain species. If someone of his intelligence and drive focuses on 4-6 species, it's not hard to believe that you will become VERY proficient at replicating the anatomical features of them.

I've met and seen the judging by lots of professionals that are leaders in the industry. To insinuate that you can "pull one over on them" by choosing those species is ludicrous... (& probably insulting to the people choosing the judges for the shows!!!)

What "details" are overlooked on a goat? Long hair? Sure, hides the obvious to observers, but the last time I saw one judged, the guy had his fingers in the hair, touching the skin and looking for drumming, etc. Tell me what is judged on a goat that isn't judged on a deer, elk, antelope, etc...

Winter ptarmigan... with parts of the feet that still must be painted (which IMO would be much more difficult than a pheasant, etc. with exposed feet). Tell me what is judged on a ptarmigan that isn't judged on another bird?

Kaibab & Abert's? Yeah, maybe "wow factor" for participants/taxidermists that don't see 'em often. All the judges I've met have a fairly extensive and long history with a wide variety of species. Maybe they don't see 'em often, but to get "wow'd" into ignoring bad taxidermy?? C'mon....

Wow, it's that easy to paint a walleye?? I need to get some of those!!!

I know, flame away, the all-knowing George is never wrong...

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Actually "Trashfish" won Best All Around (NTA) in Ky two or three years ago. I think it was 2007.

Attached Files:

10. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

PWS....if you don't think there is some truth to what George just wrote...you haven't competed much...period!

If you want clarification...PM me.

Thanks!

Jim

11. PWS

PWS Active Member

Why not just post up? Details?

Nope, haven't competed much. But I suppose that working for a guy that's judged at the world's & nationals hasn't given me any insight into the process...... flame away...

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PWS, you must be a rocket scientist too. What part of anything there weren't you capable of understanding. I don't have to reread what I wrote because what I said was true the first time and it will be true when I reread it and if I ever have to repeat it. NO ONE EVER COMPETED AGAINST JOHN. Most people were content to stay in their comfort zones of species. Those that weren't simply chose animals that, as an aggregate, have special issues that can bite you in the long run. Just how many walleye have you EVER seen in a competition that took "best in division/show"? How many squirrels? We already know that most taxidermists stay away from squirrels with a passion to begin with. Small mammals has always been a weak category. Want to try the mountain goat? Compared to let's say a WHITETAIL, or perhaps an IMPALA? And a ptarmigan is not exactly in the same category as a veriole or even a teal.

One of the old jokes was that Al Holmes once won a competition with an newborn Angora goat. The ears were down over the eyes and the muzzle was curled back under its back legs. Pretty tough to judge something like that.

And since you're implying that osmosis gives you some insight, would you mind telling me which one, of all the titles that John won during that run did he mount something OTHER THAN THOSE FOUR?

13. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I can already see this one getting ugly!!! ::) ::) ::)

14. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

There you go George, makin friends again... :)

15. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I think his gamehead was a shoulder mounted squirrel one time. I think Sioux Falls in 05.

16. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

It's all documented in the "Magazine Advertisements" section of the WASCO website at www.taxidermy.com. For the record, here are the winning entries over the past 11 years, with Stan Gross of Alabama winning this year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

In my eyes someone isn't "De throned" unless they are beat at a show they are competing at.

"clean" is Johns forte and good luck Andy.

18. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I agree totally, Gary. The desire to knock somebody off provides the incentive for a lot of wins. Some folks will always feel challenged and pull out all the stops and go outside their realm of capabilities to do it. I also wish you luck Andy and say go for it!!!!

19. I take it he wasnt at the 07' or 09' show? The man has won a lot of "all around" awards.

That gamehead squirrel was cute ::) :'(

Thanks ken for posting the ads.

20. RDA

RDA Active Member

hhhhmmmmmmm :eek: why that may just be a GOOD question!!! ::) :D