1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Do I Make a Deer Hoof Gun Rack?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Katie H, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Katie H

Katie H New Member

I am making a deer hoof gun rack and have never done it before. I am making my own forms out of basswood. I have the legs and hoofs soaking in an alum solution. I am wondering what your advice is on how to finish them. I bought some Plaster of Paris to stuff around the forms under the skin. Just thought I'd see what advise you guys would have.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

There's a good tutorial on skinning the deer feet in the tutorial section, but you may have that part down. I use the pre-cast forms you can purchase at most any supplier and DP the skin and sew them on using a little clay for filler in the hooves. You can make your own form as you have mentioned, as it is really not that difficult as long as you get the measurements correct. Use clay for filling voids and you'll need to insert some sort of screw or bolt to connect the feet forms to the base you are mounting them to. I'm not sure about the alum mix you're soaking the hides in, but it sounds more like a pickling solution and once pickled you would need to follow up and tan the hide if you want it to last. You didn't ask about that, and may have that process down as well, but I thought I would mention it. Good luck!