1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

European black bear skull?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jimhow, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jimhow

jimhow Member

I've tried my best looking for a tut and using the search bar, but can't seem to find answers! What's the best way to do this? Can I use the simmer method, or will the teeth crack? I'd like to use repros of the K9s in the skull and use the originals for something else. Can I seal them to keep them from cracking if used for something like a dream catcher?

If the answer is send it out to someone with more experience, will freezing damage the teeth?

Thanks for any help!

2. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Try posting in the skull section. Micheal P has a great tutorial on euro skulls. Try looking again. Good luck

3. jimhow

jimhow Member

I pm'd MP, he said he doesn't do many bear. I did see his tut, was for a wt. I'll post this question in skulls, thanks.

4. Samething as a whitetail, except you need to use hot water and dawn to degrease. then rinse and into the H2O2.

5. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

Simmering a bear skull will cause the teeth to crack, that is the worst option of all for cleaning a bear. And yes you can use the original K9's but they must be sealed or they will crack in time. Your best bet is maceration or send it out. Freezing won't hurt it either.

6. jimhow

jimhow Member

Thanks Colonel and John. I'd like to try this on my own, so for maceration in NY during the winter, will a bucket with an aquarium heater keep it warm enough to work? (inside is not an option) I could put the bucket in a larger box and insulate the bucket with hay, will that help? I've heard both sides of the story for using elmer's glue to seal...what is the best thing to use, and do I seal the skull too? I was hoping to cast the teeth in 6 weeks when I mount the rug, the skull won't be ready that quickly will it? Thanks for the help!

7. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Jimhow. Just an offer but if you want to pay shipping and prep the skull I'd be glad to put it the bugs and have it cleaned it a day or two for you. No charge.

8. jimhow

jimhow Member

I appreciate the offer! I'll pm you soon. MUCH better option than brewing a skull in the backyard this time of year! :D

9. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

No problem