1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Recent Antler display project

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Critter, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Critter

Critter New Member

Long story short, My Father inlaw killed this buck and wanted me to plaque it. He said just mount the skull plate to a plaque but man I just cant do just that. I didnt want one of those cheap plaque kits from Gander Mt. Everyone has those anyways and what fun is that ;D I cut a plaque from sasafrase wood (kinda a cheap imitation of Oak look) Bought a 6" foam ball from Walmart, cut it in half, carved out the back to accept the skull cap,and cut the area for the Burr's to fit in, and re shaped it a bit. I had an old Crown Royal bag laying around and decided to try it for something different to cover the shroud. I used the back side so as not to display the label ::) The gold draw string came handy for piping around the Burr base's. I hadnt yet cleared the plaque in these photos and am doing that now. Its different but thats what I wanted. I also hot glued the gold bag seams so they would lay flat and not stand up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks way nicer than those kits, good thinking!

3. ed150

ed150 deer city time

looks good ;)

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Very nice ... very creative! I like the Royal Blue color of the covering! Good job!

John.

5. EA

EA Well-Known Member

That really worked out well . Nice work and Great Idea , I think I'll try it on a few racks I have.

6. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

I really like that velvet look. I have used Red, Black, Blue, green & others like that. I like your idea with the Royal crown bag, that is cool

7. Parker2

Parker2 New Member

Wow, yet another good reason to start drinking more CROWN !!! Great thinking outside of the box.

8. fougair

fougair New Member

Looks good .For your next one you should put hoof prints into it in the center.

9. armymac26

armymac26 God made me really strong!! Not really smart!!!

That's an awesome idea!! And great work too!!

10. Very nice job and very creative. I have one problem. Your work area is way too clean. If that was mine I'd have foam scattered everywhere. Your archery supplies look way to organized. Great job and very neat I wish I could be more like you.

11. Critter

Critter New Member

Thanks people ;) Parker, if you decide to get that bottle, post some pics, that ought to be interesting ;D
    Killin time, thanks,,,,,I should post the pics of the rest of the bench for ya :D It is to clean ;D

12. MRTaxidermy

MRTaxidermy Past President of the N.E.A.T.

That looks awesome....nice job!

13. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

That's pretty cool, different for sure!

14. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

i think it's really cool, it's unique

15. Katie H

Katie H New Member

What do you use to fasten the foam to the plaque?

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Screws.

17. Critter

Critter New Member

Yep, what Redwolf said. I thought about using velcrow also. and thanks again for the coments!!

18. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

You just gave me an awesome idea, Thank you

19. jstady2002

jstady2002 New Member

To make it a little easier. Cut out a piece of wood in a circular fashion that you can screw the rack to. Have the wood shaped like your foam. Then foam that area around the horns down to the wood. Take your fabric and wrap around the form like you did. Then just take your plaque and screw the finished portion to it. This is secure and hides any screws and looks clean.

20. Critter

Critter New Member

jstady2002, im not exactly sure what you mean. I attached the skull plate straight to the plaque first, then shaped the foam ball, carved out in the back to fit over skull plate and around antler burs, then wraped foam with the velvet and hot glued on back side, Then screwed foam to plaque from back of plaque. pretty easy really, I have 2 hrs in the whole project.