1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Spots on and in Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DSalters, Dec 5, 2009.

1. DSalters

DSalters New Member

I skinned a bass last night that had small spots the size of small lead shot (or a bit smaller) on its fins, under the skin, and on the meat. They were scattered and random but were found everywhere mentioned above. They were fairly hard but could be smashed with focused effort.

I searched on there for info about this but wasn't turning up anything.

What can be said about these spots?

Thanks!

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

They are black grubs.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_52259_10950-27376--,00.html
    You're welcome.

3. The fish out of some lakes are loaded with them. We fish a lake near Grayling and every fish has them, even on the eyes sometimes. I don't keep them to eat if there are to many but they won't hurt you or effect your mount.

4. Here is a big Pumpkinseed I caught out Wakley lake that was loaded with grubs.

Attached Files:

5. DSalters

DSalters New Member

I'm glad there was a clear definition for them. Luckily, there are not a ton of them, but even if they were, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thanks again!

6. Jim L

Jim L New Member

i find them more in pond fish than fish caught in other bodies of water. i don't eat them if they have the black grubs, there plenty more fish that don't have them