1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

When measuring your whitetail,

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jbb, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jbb

jbb New Member

do you get your manikin alittle smaller than what you measured, so your not fighting it?

2. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

No.

3. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

As long as you are measuring after the tan you will not have to fight it. Now if you are measuring over a real thick haired rutting northern deer that had been hung upside down while washing out with a garden hose then left hanging for a couple days then Yes Maybe a wild guess as to the actual size would be in order. However, I would just suggest measuring after the tan then ordering that size form.

4. Matt

Matt New Member

I will go a touch smaller on the eye to nose if I can. It just makes for a better fit in my oppinon. You shouldn't have to fight anything and make things harder for yourself.

5. I measure prior to tanning so I usually go about an inch to half an inch smaller on the neck and a little smaller on the eye to nose. Usually there are not many that fit exactly with out some minor alteration so going a little smaller usually lets me get away with more and makes the job much easier. Some people actually go larger but I would not recommend this...this usually results in drumming and loss of detail as well as stressed seams...these mounts usually demonstrate incorrect hair patterns.

6. Kevin M.

Kevin M. New Member

A touch smaller

7. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

x2 I measure the EN off the carcas which automaticly gives you about a 1/4 in smaller on that measurment everything else I measure off the carcas and order exact when possible.

8. thunder

thunder New Member

just measure the neck with the skin off, eye to nose with skin on,should get a good fit

9. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

I measure both off the carcass and them get a form as close to possible to those measurements. If the hide is then handled properly through the tanning process there should be no problem getting it over the form.

10. bill@hogheaven

You guys using meat measurements are going to have to small a form if you are doing run down rutting bucks. We caped one yesterday that weighed 165# with a green skin measurement of 20x22. No way was the meat measurement close to that size. After tanning & relaxing that skin it will probably be larger than the green measurement. They usually are.

11. Kevin M.

Kevin M. New Member

I agree the carcass is always smaller then the skin. I measure the skin. Then order that size or a little smaller.

12. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

never had trouble with skin being to big or to little when measuring off the the carcas

13. bill@hogheaven

Harley....You been doing this what.....A year? Tell me the same thing 200 deer from now.

14. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

this is my second yr IN MY SHOP lol I have been doing this right at 3 yrs now and mentored under several other dermist, one of wich we mounted 1-2 deer a day 5 days fir 9 months so i'm not your average 3rd yr dermist. I never claimed to be the allmighty know it all I was just agreeing with Matt................and by looking at his deer you cant tell me he doesn't know what he's talking about.

15. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I never use the carcass measurement. I absolutely hate it when a customer brings in the whole neck because they thought I needed it for measurements. But when they do I hang it by the antlers and skin it from the nose back and gravity helps it along.

16. bill@hogheaven

Harley...maybe I cant see right but, I dont see where Matt claimed to use meat measurements. Matt is way to good a dermist to use a meat measuement on a run down buck after the rut.

17. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I guess you are right he didn't say that in this thread I may have read that elsewhere, but my point is, there are alot of good taxidermist that measure off the carcas

18. bill@hogheaven

Thats probably fine too, but I have been addressing post rut bucks in particular. See if you can find a post by Mason yesterday. Bill Yox, myself & others were talking about this in measuring post rut bucks.

19. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I'll look for it...... I did a little search to see who was doing what and it looks like you take beef with everyone who brings it up untill in one of the threads Oldfart said he'd been doing it that way for 30 yrs when the carcas was available

20. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

Harley....Bill@swinehell had the same beef with me but that was how I was taught by my instructer who has been doing taxidermy for over 30 years, between helping him and doing mine I've mounted over 500 deer in 8 years, and I have never had a problem if the measurement were correct, and the hide tanned properly. By the way Ed150 measures them the same way, so evidently all taxidermist in this area measure them wrong :eek: