1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What makes in house tanning diff from a tannery?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by rarestjewels, Dec 6, 2009.

1. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I'll disagree with that. Ever measure the pH of a borax solution?

2. Hey JBROWN, who the hell are you? Bruce Ritell is consulted by most of these tanneries you jerk. Bruce is one of the most knowledgeable tannery people in the woirld.

3. well then explain how borax is the primary use for preserving bird skins and small mammals?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

bird skin is paper thin, no need for any tan, borax is just bug proof. But Borax is NOT "primary" for small mammals. Who told you that?

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

A figment of his imagination T.

6. George says he uses borax for dp in alot of his coyotes small mammals and birds...I myself use borax cut with baby powder

7. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I haven't necessarily tanned boraxed skins, but if I knew a skin would be salted for a long period of time before I would tan it I would use a salt/borax mix for the first salting it let it set as normal, then do my second just with salt and hang to dry on plastic coat hangers if it were a cape & place in a screen fronted cabinet. but before I would pickle it would get washed thoroughly and adjusted along the way. with no issues.

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I guess that's why several large tanneries still pay him consulting fee's to come into their work place & help them get their tannery up and running correctly ???????????????

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

elkhunter, you REALLY need to stop. I've never said that. In fact, I've NEVER USED BORAX TO TREAT ANYTHING OTHER THAN PUT IT IN SAWDUST OCCASIONALLY. I use DRY PRESERVATIVE which contains SOME borax but whose main ingredient is TALCUM along with alum, borax, and a few proprietary products. Borax is just to coarse for my liking. Borax only "sweetens" the skin so that bugs don't infest it. The pH of borax (as Cyclone implies) is off scale alkali and is the reason that a DP hide will have loose hair at a stage of drying. Now THERE'S what George said.

10. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Allow me. If one were to check it out, they would find two different boraxes available. One can pick up and hold 5 water molecules, the other can pick up and hold 10. The one that can hold 10 is the one of interest in taxidermy use.

Why on earth would a taxidermist ever want to put something on a skin that would attract and hold 10 water molecules?

Why on earth would anyone put zinc on a piece of metal when the zinc is going to attract and hold water molecules faster than the metal that it has been put on? (Hint: it's called galvanize)

Principles are the same for both. They are each stronger "magnets" for water than the materials they are on. The object of application is for the attracting material to hold the water until it evaporates off, leaving the substrate unharmed.

11. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Just because a Tannery has 10,000 hides worth of experience doesn't mean he can do a wet tan that meets My needs as a Taxidermist.
    I just test fit a couple of wet tan capes from a "tannery" and they Suck for mounting.The tan may be superior but they do not cooperate with my needs............
    Yes Tanneries do have more experience in tanning but how many mounts have they done?
    But I'm not shooting them down,No way Ill judge by just one tanneries so called wet tan..............
    There are many Taxidermist that praise certain tanneries for their wet tans and I'm looking forward to trying them............
    Experience in tanning doesn't matter as much as experience in tanning and taxidermy together.I bet one of Monte's wet tanns would go together nice............JMO

12. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

5 water molecules per molecule of borax is called 5 mol borax.

10 water molecules per molecule of borax is called 10 mol borax.

One can also get borax with no water molecules attached. To a chemist this is known as "anhydrous". Taxidermists know it as "puffed" borax.

Galvanizing with zinc works through a different set of properties. It is an electrochemical reaction wherein the zinc donates electrons more easily than the steel that it covers. The zinc is sacrificed to oxidization thus protecting the steel.

13. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Tom, Thanks for your confidance in me. You know I don't prefer wet tan. However, we just mounted an eland with our wet tan and their is less shrinkage than any I have seen. Damn rush job.

14. TD

Well actually Monte,I have Mounted a few deer using your method and they mounted up great and stayed in place very nicely.............

15. OK George I stand corrected...Now if i may impose on some of your wisdom...is there a way to create DP from Borax and baby powder? (This is a formula taught to me for birds)

For small mammals and coyotes...what DP PRODUCT do you use?

16. TD

Elkhunter,One of the best DP,s on the market is Bess Maid from Touchstone supply co...............My Opinion.........

17. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Holy Cow I think you and George will agree on this.........I do believe he has mentioned using Bess Maid before but I could be wrong I don't want to put words in his mouth.

18. TD

He has.................
    I used Bess Maid for years...........
    That was before My tanning days...........