1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First fish.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fullsneak, Dec 7, 2009.

1. This is my first attempt at painting a fish.....it was a restoration job and I only had the original mount as reference. I used a Paashe VL air brush so I couldn't get the detail I wanted...I'm getting a Badger for my next one...What do you think?

I have a before and after picture.

Attached Files:

2. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    Hard to tell from such small pics. You should use pics of live or fresh fish as reference instead of the mount.Live ref. Live ref. If you learn nothing else then learn to use and interpret live ref.

3. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

can't really tell alot from the photos, the onethat is a close up is to confined, the other repaint shot is to far away to tell

4. this might show more.

Attached Files:

5. Not bad at all for first paint job. Like was mentioned before, always have reference in front of you while painting and study the heck out of it. If you eased up on your detail markings it would have looked much better. It's still an improvement over the original paint job.

6. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

the markings on the belly are waaaayyyy to dark, the lines on the check are to thin and too dark, and there should be a transition that blends between the belly white and the green of the back. as it is right now, there is not real transition. the good news for you is that these are about the same mistakes that everyone makes on their first fish. Good work and keep trying.

7. trapperr

trapperr New Member

If that fish were not glossed you could lightly buff with fine Steele wool to make the marking a little less pronounced

8. Disecador

Disecador New Member

Also consider that bass have different colors depending on the region, in Fla Bass are very light golden green to almost gold, and I agree the transition from the back to the belly is to harsh and the dotting is too dark otherwise good tried.

9. Disecador

Disecador New Member

This was my first repair/repaint job 10 years ago, we all learn from our mistakes

Attached Files:

10. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Not bad for the first. Way too heavy on the markings. If you lighten up an paint each scale the markings will fall in place. Hard to explain. It will come after a few. When I was learning, I had a 4lber that I bet I repainted 10 times. Each time I learned something new I tried it, stripped it and tried again.

11. thanks for all the advice....It is a little darker than what I wanted it but the customer wanted to keep it close to the original colors on the mount. I only charged $100 for the repairs and paint job so they were real happy and I learned a lot..