1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

just got a call

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by cwt, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cwt

cwt Active Member

And Im not sure what to think. they were asking why thereis such a big difference in prices and what is the difference in what i charge and the guy who is only 200 or 250. she asked what i would recommend and I told her to come to the shop and I would show her what we do. And she asked what I did with my deer meat and if I made jerkey and how I cook it. Might me me, but it seemed like a wierd phone calll to me. Dont know what to think. I was wondering if it was somebody starting in taxidermy and trying to get some info.

2. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

odd

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Sounds a little weird to me. No mention of having anything they were interested in having mounted? I would give them a tour of your shop if and when they have a specimen to be mounted.

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I would probably tell her to bring the deer on by so we could talk about what we could do with it and I could explain how we do things the right way. If she doesn't show up with a deer then somthign is fishy and wouldn't explain a heck of alot or show anything really. Could be two things, either she is a very inexperienced hunter and doesn't have a clue as to what to do with a dead deer or she is trying to get info out of you. Very possible they have no clue what to do with a deer. Seems alot of people are that way..... I had a guy call me to drop off a deer yesterday after ML hunting that was shot 35 years ago and wanted it mounted and was bringing a cape. Well he showed up with a friend and a buck that he had just shot with the ML and went on to explain he had this big old doe cape he had gotten for free and wanted his 35 year old buck mounted on it. I was like ok thinking I'd talk him into a $35 dollar buck cape I have. Then I said well what are you going to do with your buck in your truck. O just put it on a board he goes (big deer but goofy wide spindly rack maybe 3 year old). So I say well your not going to do anything with the cape then? He said no, gonna get it processed tomorrow he says and cut the rack off. I laughed inside and said well we could take that cape to use on your 35 year old rack then you will have your buck with your rack and doe capes aren't what you want to use on a buck anyways (not that I would have done it anyways). Then a spark went off in his head, o if you think that would look best he goes. LOL I couldn't beleive it neither him or his buddy thought to use the buck cape, just glad he had gotten that buck with the ML. He will be dropping the buck cape off this week haha. WCL

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I wouldn't give it a second thought, until they knocked on your door. If I get a call and if they say that will be over with their deer, or to look at my work,,, when I hang up the phone,, I take everything I just said and heard,, and forget it. I go on pretending as if no one called. If and when they show up, then I bring the file back up,.

6. Exactly Mr.T

7. cwt

cwt Active Member

she did claim that her and her husband both had deer to mount...havent heard anything yet so oh well.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

You will never see them,,,,, until they knock on your door, ,,thats when you give them room in your head.

9. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

I am with T on this. Until I am filling out the paper work/contract...I don't worry about anything.

Lots of phone shoppers and promises.

10. cwt

cwt Active Member

thats the way I am every year you hear a thousand times that they are going to bring you something or they call about dropping one off and never show. oh well got 3 more in last night so Im good to go.

11. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Man where do you get a $35.00 replacement cape? Mine are all sold for $100.00. (Maybe less for a small buck). Do you have any of those $35.00 capes you are selling? At $35.00 you are giving them away.

12. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

At my shop you can get them if you are a client. $30 to $35 is what I buy them for from people around the area and I sell them to customers for the same price I pay. Keeps customers happy and people selling them to me knowing some day they may need one too and 30-35 is way more than $3 they will get for the hide selling to a fur buyer. Also people bringing in euros like it because it saves them on their bill a little. I don't see the need to price them up for customers. Most of the people I see needing capes are people who have no idea what they are doing and ruin their cape or it gets shot up and most of them don't seem like they would pay $100 or more for a cape plus the mount so I'm out a mount then. I'd rather provide people with capes at cost and get their mounting buisiness than worry about them not doing it because a cape that isn't theirs is alot of money to them at $100 or more. I know some people on here feel the same and some don't. Any extra capes that are not taken by clients at the end of the year would get marked up and sold elsewhere though. If its a special cape like an early hair or somethign huge I would pay the person more for it and charge accordingly for a comp piece or client wanting somethign special but standard mounts and capes are easy to come buy around here. WCL

13. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

If she calls back tell her your favorite recipe for Venison is fresh off the hoof, and that you never try to drag a deer on an empty stomach so you eat the Liver fresh in the woods and that you like to eat Big Hot Red Raw Onions and that you wash it down with a steaming mug of Fresh Blood. Then after you get to the truck you wrap the back straps in foil with onions and wire them to the exhaust manifolds and cook them on the drive back to the shop, and that some times if your lucky when you hit one just right with the truck it will get lodged up under the hood and cook itself like that along the way.

When in doubt add the the Michal Meyers stereotype, keeps the real nuts out of the shop. ;D

Jeff

Really honestly though sounds like some guy asked his wife to find a taxidermist and she thinks that you mount it with the meat and bones still in it.

14. cwt

cwt Active Member

LOL sarge