1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moose Waddle?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gRicks, Dec 8, 2009.

1. gRicks

gRicks New Member

Idaho
    I have my first moose to do, and I need some info. on how to handle the waddle, do I try and split it or try and turn it?

2. Yes you have to open it.

3. redwolf

redwolf New Member

It has to be split. Some have a rope that hangs from them also and it needs to be split too. Some run a rod with a sharpened point down them, and some split it like you would a tail and sew it up.

4. For future reference it is a bell. Moose do not have wattles.
    And yes they will need to be split and filled with clay or something.

5. redwolf

redwolf New Member

LMAO I was gonna say something but figured I'd just let it go :D :D

6. I just could not let it go. Maybe I should have but it is hard to do.

7. redwolf

redwolf New Member

lol I know what you mean.

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman taxidermist / instructor

i split them and then wrap a wire, just like a tail on a raccoon or similar animal, then sew it up. The wire will help make sure the bell dries and hangs straight.

9. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

We always called it a "dewlap"... It was our lunch lady's nic-name in grade school

10. gRicks

gRicks New Member

Idaho
    thanks for the info, and setting me straight on what it is called (bell) not waddle.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Each moose is different. I've had them that were simple "dewlaps" that could be split from inside. I've had dewlaps and "bells" that needed to be split outside, and I've had just bells that needed splitting form outside. A dewlap gets a piece of plywood while a bell will get many things, but most of all the hidepaste clay that uses vermiculite.

12. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

No animal has waddles. They are called waTTles, if they have them.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Michael waTTle is one of my favorite outdoor hunting personalities.

14. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Ok, I will play some jeopardy...

what does a ringneck phesant have on each side of its face and is red in color?..

What is a wattle for 50 bucks..?

15. redwolf

redwolf New Member

A duck waddles, and a pheasant has wattles.
    Moose don't walk like a duck, and don't have wattles :D :D

16. The guy that I learned taxidermy from just poured tanning solution on it and "worked" it in. While drying he tied a weight to the bottom of it so it would dry straight. It was his first moose, and it came out fine. It's on display in our local Dicks store. Just another technique i guess.

17. jorgy

jorgy New Member

Yes it must be cleaned out. I have seen some so large that the main part of it had to be cut from plywood and attached to the form. Others may be like many have described and you can wrap them like a tail