1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Eye Set

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by trapperr, Dec 8, 2009.

1. trapperr

trapperr New Member

How Does My Deer Eye Set Look ?

[​IMG]

2. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

If I didn't see your reflection in it, I would say "it's ALIVE !"

3. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

If I couldnt see the reflection of you takin the pic and the doors behind you I would think its a live deer

(you beat me Marc)

4. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Thank You For Your Comments , Appreciate Your Input , Guess I Am Doing Something Right !!

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

wow. if i could only grt mine to look like that :eek:. nice work.

6. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Thank You Very Much, I Liqua-Tanned That Cape And Got It Nice & Thin , Amazing What You Can Do Around Those Eyes With A Dremel Tool And I/2 Inch Stone And What Heat Comes From It Does Not Cause Any Slipage As Some Might Believe, I Do All My Deer That Way, Thank You For Your Comments

7. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Are those the Meder eyes?

8. trapperr

trapperr New Member

No , Prerotated 32 MM Tohickon, Like Them, Can Show Just A Sliver Of White In The Corner , Makes For A Nice Eye

9. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

Very nice eye!! I like it :)

10. murph

murph Member

Ok, Wheres your tutorial ???? That is awesome man! Seriously, you should put that in a tutorial. I'd kill to have mine look that good ! NICE JOB !

Thanks, Lance!

11. WOWWW! Love it!

12. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Nicely mounted eye, but no Nictitating membrane? Hmmm ... Why?

John.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I see George in the reflection of that eye ;D

14. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Very nice!

15. trapperr

trapperr New Member

WOW ! Thank you all for your comments !! It is really refreshing to have a positive view on things. Thank You for your post also LordRusty, to have someone of your skill & talent have a positive responce on my eye set is special . The reason no nictitating membrane is there as of yet was that i was cleaning up the eye to start finishing and wanted to see if any adjustments had to be made by responces from other taxidermist . Thank You again

16. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

nice, clean, and shapely eye work!

17. LordRusty

Ohio
    Trapperr,

I always remark when someone pulls off a beautiful job on something that is so commonplace, so many just take it for granted. You did an outstanding job and should be complimented on it! Thanks for the Nictitating membrane explanation. I also like how nice and tight the Lachrymal fold is on the Deer. Looking good!

Oh ... when you photograph a live Deer's eye -- or any large game mammal eye -- from close range, your reflection will be seen in its eye as well. So reflection or not ... it looks very much alive!

Now ... what's this about the "Dremel Tool And I/2 Inch Stone And What Heat Comes From It Does Not Cause Any Slipage As Some Might Believe, I Do All My Deer That Way,"? ??? Do you use it on the skin side of the eye somehow after it has dried, or ... for deepening the socket of the headform -- that one I get. You've piqued my curiosity with that one, my friend! ;)

John.

18. trapperr

trapperr New Member

I use the dremel with a small stone as in the picture when thinning around the eyes , nose & lips on a rehydrated cape just before mounting, on the skin side naturally . I can open the eye lids right to the follicles with great control , a little water can be squirted on as ya go if dries out on you some . It works especially well on the nose , you can really get that as thin as you like with no holes, this might be a good tip for those having trouble using a knife for the procedure . Again thank you for the comments John , really means a lots to me coming from a real icon in the taxidermy industry.

[​IMG]

19. LordRusty

Ohio
    Oh! Okay, now I gotch'ya! Hmmm ... makes me rethink my old sandpapering method on the nose pad and around the eyes on the wetted cape! I wonder if the Dremel medium sanding drum would work. I have used those on some tough African capes ... Buffalo and the like, but never used them on Whitetail.

Hey, Trapperr, thank you for the compliment, and we can all learn from someone else's experience! ;) Great tip!

John.

20. trapperr

trapperr New Member

I should add that i use a course stone on that dremel tool . Not to sure how a sanding drum would work as sometimes i work off the edge of the stone & also it gets wet which might cause a sanding drum to fail . I use this technique on everything , great for detailing all small game also . Good Luck