1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Eye Set

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by trapperr, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Wow, that is truly fine work. Good job!

2. I also use the Dremal for thinning around my eyes, nose, and lips. I use the sandpaper disc. I like the disc because you can change the courseness of the disc if you like. I used to use the skife and always seemed to cut holes in lips. The dremal give you so much better control IMO. I never tried the course stone. I'll give that a try. Also the wet hyde never seems to affect the sanding disc.

3. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

I have used the sanding drum and it works, but I can see an advantage with the stone as Trapper stated, you can work off the corner of the stone.

4. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Thank you JoeHunter , appreciate that !! Yes MarcA , i find myself using the edge of the stone more for the real fine detailing on the eyes , a new stone might have a more pronounced edge , be good to wear it in as you can see mine is rounded a bit , sure works great !!

5. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Gona give it a shot !

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You can wear the edge of the stone grinder by running it against a brick or cinder block. Tried using a coarse farriers' rasp one time and blew out the stone ... shattered it! :eek: Since then I've broken them in with a piece of cinder block I have under my work table. ;) Lesson learned! ;D

John.

7. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

It's got a cold, secretions around the eye....

8. murph

murph Member

When I went to school, This is the only method I learned is with a dremal tool and a sanding drum ...It works well but I think that stone wheel would be the cats pajama's...LOL Got to give that a try.... Thanks for that little tip ....

Lance!

9. MB in NC

MB in NC Aim small. Miss small.

Looks great!

10. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

stop tooling in the deep crease just below the bottom ridge of the lid.

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Might help if you put a picture up for the man! Hell ... you have this very one right there at WASCO!

Trapperr, this was taken by Sallie Dahmes some years ago and is still a good reference.
    [​IMG]
    While your Deer eye is close, notice the lack of a hard crease line at the lower lid. It is a bit further down, and much softer.
    [​IMG]
    I should have pointed that out myself, but it is still a nice eye, and will get better as you go. ;)

John.

12. supdavetax

supdavetax New Member

It is a pet deer in the shop . is it house broken. lol .So good ,wish I could turnem out like that you should do a tutorial

13. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Yes i see that , Thank You Rick & John ! Can't wait till ii get my capes back from the tannery !!! Had a couple i liqu-a- tanned here for friends , the rest go to the tannery . Again thank you so much for responding.

14. Chad

Chad Member

Ohio
    I would like to see a pic. of the whole mount. and great job on the eyes.
    Thanks for sharing.