1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

which fish heads?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Basin Taxidermy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Basin Taxidermy

Basin Taxidermy THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING!!

Looking for some help in finding a good line of replica fish heads for cold water species... is there a company out there that makes superior products compared to others or are they mostly the same result.. any recommendations would be great. thanks

2. Have you tried Lake Country?

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Heads only? That would have to be Bill Leach at Caribou Taxidermy. Best selection and best heads in the business. He's listed under suppliers I believe...

4. Basin Taxidermy

no i have'nt tried them and yeah just heads at the moment. just getting started with some fish and am looking to order a few heads but would like to head down a good road that a few already have traveled. so thanks for the advice ill check em out!

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

+1. They are the nicest needing the least work IMO.

However I use whomever has the head that fits for the fish I need, even making them myself if absolutely necessary. I have used Caribou, ARP, Orthober, GAFH. Some are better than others but all are useable IMO.

6. FishArt

I don't know if he's still selling them, but Gary Bruch has a limited selection, but some very, very nice stuff too...

7. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Thanks Marty----they are my first choice too but I have to buy them now--lol.
    The heads I molded are available through WASCO and are being made by Ken Carnahan. I just called WASCO today and purchased a 24'' female rainbow head.

8. Jim L

Jim L New Member

Custom cast are my favorite ;D

9. Basin Taxidermy

what should i expect as far as turn around time in getting one of these through the mail. from what i remember at school some of these heads are hard to get in fact i ordered a couple and they never came in while i was there. and they were just a couple small heads for pratice fish .

10. FishArt

I would imagine if a Bruch head you'd be looking at 3-4 days through WASCO. Bill at Caribou is usually about 4-5 days-ish. Probably depends on where you're located too - give or take a day. If you go Caribou, just tell Bill if you need them quicker and I'm sure he'll get them to you as promised...

11. Basin Taxidermy

oh heck that aint at all what i was thinking it would be... thats awesome turn around.. thanks

12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

If I order any of the heads that McKenzie carries 2 days.