1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

making a fleshing beam and stand

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mtnman427, Sep 20, 2006.

1. mtnman427

mtnman427 New Member

does anyone have directions on making a fleshing beam. I would like to know the sizes of wood needed and such. Thanks.

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I have some brief directions in a book.. It basically says, pic your log, wood post, 2x4 etc or whatever size you want the beam to be..and to sand it down real good so there are no spilinters or bumps that would cause the knife to cut into the hide. Youll need several different sizes if you do different size critters. The guy in the book uses a log for big stuff, and a 4x4 post shapped and sanded down for smaller stuff, then he has pics of what looking ilke a tree stake that has been sanded, and then a smaller one with a somewhat pointy end for doing smaller work such as around the eyes etc.
    Ive seen others that look like a 2 x 6 with rounded edges and sanded.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Any trapper supply co. has them all hardwood properly shaped for 25-30- bucks

4. WST

WST New Member

I made the one that I use. I made it out of a 2x6 about 2 feet long. Sanded the sides round and the end to a rounded point.
    When I use it I screw it to the mounting bracket that would screw to the back of the game head . I slide it in my
    stand so I can adjust it to the position I need it in.

5. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

If you'll go to the top of the page and search the "old" forum under pvc fleshing beam you'll find oodles of info! Peace. Jeff F.

6. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Jeff nailed it. George roof made one a few years back from pvc and had it posted.

7. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Copied and pasted from: http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/09c/9946381F00.html

FLESHING BEAMS

Submitted by RAY K on 10/15/99. ( ) 192.92.159.146

Going to break down and buy a fleshing beam. Any recomendations of using wood verses fiberglass? Also, can a good one be made out of wood myself - anyone have plans/suggestions? (Better yet, does anyone have some for sell?) The one I made just isn't making it!!!

Return to Category Menu

Fleshing Beam

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/15/99. ( [email protected] ) 152.163.188.99

Ray,
    Before you spend a lot of money, I expanded and idea that I saw Ron Carter use some years ago. I called one of my customers who does septic work. I scrounged a 10 inch piece of PVC about 6 feet long. Then I put it on a table say and cut it lengthwise so that I had two equal halves. Then with a scroll saw, I cut one end like a rocket nose cone and then rounded the edges with a 1/4 quarter round router bit. I built a saw horse affair and attached the PVC to it with #122 countersunk wood screws.
    This set up is ideal for tube cut deer, and all animals down to large otters. I have to use a Vise-Grip hand clamp to hold most hides up, but the PVC gives you a flawless surface to work from. And you always have a second half to make a narrower one if you want for smaller animals.

PVC best I know

This response submitted by Don Rogers on 10/20/99. ( [email protected] yahoo.com ) 167.7.17.3

Ray,
    I agree with George, (but I usually do) A few years ago I made my own fleshing beam out of pvc pipe too. A little different from George's model though. This is for a table top mount that I "C" clamp on to the tables edge. I took a piece a 6" pipe approx. 40" long. Cut one end at a severe angle. Then I took a piece of plywood 8" wide and the width of my table long. (30") I then fixed a piece of wood in the pipes end with the angle cut. This is to secure the two together. I then placed the end with angle cut with the block of wood in it to the plywwood. I then screwed through the plywood and into the block that is in the pipe. This will hold the pipe onto the plywood at the angle you previously cut. I also put a small piece of wood underneath the pipe as extra support and fiberglassed it into place. I also fiberglassed around the end where I screwed the two together. I hope you can understand these instructions sometimes I confuse myself. Feel free to e-mail me for clarification. I also have a 4" beam made the same way. These work GREAT. I wont ever buy one after making these. The capes rotate around the beams as I flesh. Also you will want to smooth over the end not attatched to the wood with a rasp or something.
    See ya
    Don

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Most people I know that put up a lot of fur, Im talking guys that put up thousands a year. Professional fur buyers & the like all use wooden beams. Use hardwood beams they are knot free & dont gouge up like softwood. If you do put a nick in one just run your knife at 90 degree angel back toward you. the nick will be gone in 2-3 passes. The 6 inch wide one is the most practical, allows you to doo small tube cut deer & animals down to muskrat size. A beam will outlast the average taxidermist. Try the snare shop 1-866-357-6273 . They have 6 x 59 beams for 25.95.

9. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Wild cherry's the best. with oak next and then walnut. also persimmon wood can be good. just cut a straight piece of log to your favorite length. try for a straight grain.
    :)

10. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

CT, What happened to your karma? Sterroids? Just got back from Texas today, and havent been keeping up. Glad to see it. I always knew you were a good fellow!

11. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Hi OS, yep. some friends keeping it pumped i guess. or else my enemies just gave up. ;D
    dat sure is a cutie pup. is that a stuborn cocker. looks classy. what was you doing in texas if i may ask Mr. Aubrey. i notice the astro have a pretty good ballplayer named Aubrey. where did them texas moms get that name from 25-40 years ago. A fold hero cowboy mabey?
    :D
    Hey check out my homepage pussycat.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

12. pTa

pTa New Member

I am working at making myself a scrap wood fleshing stand and one of these PVC beams for scraping deer hide.

Are there any known alternatives to PVC piping of 8" diameter? A professional plumbing shop here told me that a 10 footer of 8" diameter PVC would cost me over $300! That is not an option for me, as I have no other uses of this, and I'm just a small do-it-yourselfer that hasn't even shot at a deer successfully yet.
    My local hardware stores only carry PVC piping diameters up to 4", which probably doesn't have the right curve to it to be efficient with deer scraping.

Any advice on the matter?

13. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Boy this post is OLD!! Make a fleshing beam out of a 2X6 just make one end pointed and round off the sides, like someone above said you can buy one for under $30 dollars..

14. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    Is there a good reference for what sizes are for what size animal? Last time I just used a wood pole or laid flat on OSB. But would like to do it easier this time.

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Mine is made from a poplar log about 5" in diameter. I took a draw knife and smoothed it up and tapered the working end. It is hinged to a wall, so I can raise it out of the way when not in use. There is no need in making a large investment in a fleshing beam. They are easily made by de-barking any straight and relatively knotless piece of wood about 6 feet long.

msestak likes this.