1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Mount???

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Katie H, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Katie H

Katie H New Member

My sister shot a 9 point white tail this fall, and she wants me to mount the antlers. I have never done one before. Could someone tell me how to do it, along with a few different styles? I am just doing the antlers, not the skull. Pictures would help too. Thanks

2. TRAPER

TRAPER New Member

go to van dykes taxidermy supply the have kits that will help you with what you need

3. Katie H

Katie H New Member

Can someone just post a tutorial? I don't want to get any kits or videos if I can help it.

4. Wallhanger llc

Wallhanger llc New Member

I dont have any pics but I order the plaque and the form to mount the horns too. Its basically urethane and a plywood backing with a slot for the horns to sit on. You shim the horns on it till the line down the center lines up and then you can either clay in the holes and spaces or use master machet. Then you let it dry and I sand it smooth. Drill 2 holes in the board from the back and then use two screws to hold the form and antlers to the plaque. Dont tighten them up as you have to attach the felt yet but I ussually predrill. Then I just take the leather substitute or felt and cut the holes for the antlers and then pull it tight and staple it on the back of the form. The tricky part is getting rid of the wrinkles. They make a product called a flocking gun but I have never heard if it works or not , but it looks to me like its similar to a caulking gun that shoots the adhesive and ground up felt out and you just paint it on more or less. Then just attach the form to the plaque and then I take a peice of rope and hot glue it around the bases of each antler. Hope this helps.

5. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

The reason there isn't a tutorial is because those kits (panel screws skull cover and hanger) have all a novice needs to do it and the instructions as well.

It is really easy to do they even have the kits for them at most sporting goods stores. They look a little cheesy with the plastic cover with the crushed 70's red velvet but it gets the job done.

Kits sell for like $20

Or most taxidermists I know do custom ones that look really good for around $95

That's my Christmas money this year.

Jeff

6. this is the easiest way. simple yet effective. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2369083770060997113vzeNVG. Or you could fill the skull plate with Bondo, shape it once it is set up and than glue a colored velvet over the top. drill into the Bondo and mount to a plaque. ;) both easy ways to mount a skull plate.

7. this is an example of "MY" bondo way to mount the skull plate.

Attached Files:

8. DSalters

DSalters New Member

I use Research Mannikins' forms for mounting mine. The antlers, on the skull cap still of course, are drilled into the form and the gaps are filled in with mache or drywall mud. I then build up around the antler burrs with potter's clay. Buckskin suede is cut plenty large and stapled to the backside around the form and cut to shape in order to fit around the burrs. I tuck in the suede beneath the burrs and push the clay up to wedge the leather up underneath the burrs. This way, no cord is needed to cover up where the leather meets the antler. I prefer this look much more.

From the backside of a McKenzie oak or walnut panel, I drill two holes and insert two 1.5" screws into the bottom of the form. A level-rite hanger works for the backside in order to get the balance just right.

One of these days, I hope to make a tutorial with pictures, but this is a brief idea of how it all works for me.

Attached Files:

9. Hazard

Hazard New Member

I have done a lot of these types of mounts for myself and family. My way takes a little time, but I like them. Sorry I don't have pics. I make the plaque however you like. I cut a piece of plywood in the shape of the final covering as in the other post, I then screw the antlers to the plywood. I then use plaster of paris to mold the shape useind the plywood as the base, I pile the plaster on and build it up to the rough shape that I want. The antlers are sticking just out of the plaster b about 1/8 inch. After the plaster dries I smooth it out with my finger and some water. Then I take deer lether and wrap the plaster attaching the lether behind the plywood base. I use glue and thumb tacks (until the glue dries). The extra leather is cut off with a razor. The only real work is doing a good job around the antlers, which youneed to overlap the leather seam and glue only on the underside of the lap. Then drill a hole in the plaque and screw the plywood base to the plaque. Looks great and everyone is just a bit differant so they don't look like a kit.

10. BossHog

BossHog Skips Deer on Cedar Plaque.

I have another way of finishing them that looks good. Sorry I don't have any pictures. When you can get the head before the antlers are cut off and the hide is in good shape, skin it out first. Then after you get the bondo shaped the way you like flesh out the skin, use DP and put the skin back on. Sew it up and staple to the back and fasten to a nice plaque. I think that looks better than anything you can put on it.

11. i always thought of doing it that way, but was never certain how it would look. if anyone has a pic. of it done this way please share.

12. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

I use mache and simple oil based paint and flocking. Here is combine busted shed I fixed and put on a panel. Sorry cell phone picture.

Attached Files:

13. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Just for fun the shed.

Attached Files:

14. I always have trouble with attaching the rope ends. When you cut them and remove the tape they always fray so it's hard to hot glue them together. Or do you just leave the tape on?

15. Fran M

Fran M Member

Krusty12 ,Try using a lighter on the frayed ends,to slightly melt them.

16. Katie H

Katie H New Member

That's what I do to unraveling ends.

17. Thanks! I should of thought about that so simple. What was I thinking!

18. Keith3

Keith3 New Member

My instructor showed me a cool trick for that...put a few drops of super glue on the rope, wait just a minute, then cut it...won't fray!

19. outdoorsalways

outdoorsalways New Member

Use a lighter on the ends of the rope.It will stop the fraying(It does for me)