1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Liquatan safety?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Amy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Does anyone here know the specifications on the safety of liquatan?

I am mostly talking about the smell.. is there anything harmful in the fumes?

I'm uber-careful and I pretty much spend 75% of my time in the shop wearing a paint respirator. Can't be too careful when your pregnant. But that respirator gets annoying and I'd rather not wear it if I'm working with something completely safe.

There are no ingredients listed on the liquatan bottle so I don't know what the basic ingredients are ... all I know is that is has a smell, and I'd like to know if that smell is something I should be breathing in.

Anyone have some insight?

2. Amy, I have a Knoblochs catalog and this is what is says. Liqua Tan is safe to use. This does not mean that certain precautions shouldn't be taken. Liqua tan does contain small amounts of solvents and is a mild acid. It is therefore recommended to wear rubber gloves when applying Liqua Tan or apply with paint brush, there are no special precautions needed. Dealers do have a safety data sheet available upon request. Hope this helps :)

3. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Hi, I can't answer your question on liquatan, but definately be careful around those paint fumes. In 77, my wife was expecting my second son, and at about 7 mos. along , the smell of paint sent her to the hospital early. Baby was born 2 mos. early. All went well, but she will tell you to this day the paint smell did it.This was before polytranspar and lifetone. I was always at dept. store looking for paint for fish. I'd mix model car paint with various spray cans, auto paint, lacquer, enamel, you name it , I bought it and tried it, trying to match colors. Thank God Bob Williamson came along, I think he pioneered polytranspar. I,m serious Amy about this and read you're earlier post about turning down work.I know it might be tough on you , trying to mount in your cond., but watch the fumes like lacquer thinner, they can be bad in your cond. Good luck and congradulations

4. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

5. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Thanks for your help everyone ... double barrel, I NEVER let myself sniff a fume ... whenever I am around something that smells even remotely like paint or solvent, I wear my 3M painting respirator. I can't smell a thing through that. Some days I work with it on all day .. rubs some nasty lines on my cheeks after that many hours, but it's worth it.

I just didn't want to be silly wearing it for no reason, but the liquatan had an odd, strong smell so I wanted to be better safe than sorry .. I will contact Mark!

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I hate to say it, but anything we deal with as taxidermists is potentially dangerous to a fetus. Lacquer, acids, bondo, foam, you name it.
    You just have to be careful.

7. Dont allow it on your skin, many times you skin will absorb chemicals quicker than inhaling them.

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

If you find out from Mark, let us know what he said Amy, if you don't mind