1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African tanned skin.... Need help

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by cuddlebuddy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. cuddlebuddy

cuddlebuddy New Member

Hey Folks:
    Have a quick question about a warthog a customer dropped off. A customer dropped off a warthog he had just received back from Africa. How long I don't know. Anyway it was already tanned in Africa. It looked like a normal tan but was a little stiff. Not as stiff as a satled hide but not as soft as like from a typical stateside tannery. I re hydrated for about an hour in a typical water Salt bath and sweatted overnight ina fridge. next day still stiff as hell. no stretch and impossible to mount in this condition.
    I've re hydrated dip and pack skins before and know that it can take quite awhile and sometimes needs a relaxer. I have some enzol B but am reluctant to use it until I get some feedback..... Any suggestions

Thanks

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

this may be a long shot but it has worked for me in the past on hard to relax skins let the skin drain out then swab it dowm good with a heated tanning oil and let it set overnite then throw it in a sawdust tumbler for a while [ i have a 4 foot diameter tumbler] if that dont limber it up where its mountable its probley hopeless. i do have a extra warthog cape for sale if you end up needing one.