1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrushing

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jeff., Dec 11, 2009.

1. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Alright, I finally need an airbrush to take care of some stains.

What do you guys use, any good deals? I'd imagine I don't need anything really expensive.

I currently have an air compressor for my air tools, but it looks like I might need a smaller compressor that is dedicated to airbrushing???

Help me here, people. I'm an airbrushing/compressor noob!

Thanks!

2. you can get a regulator to control pressure to your airbrush, cheaper than a compressor I think

3. thefishbio

thefishbio New Member

The badger brand works pretty good for start up enthuses. Just make sure it comes with all the attachments. I would at least recommend a double stage if the use is going to be high.
    X2 on regulator. ;)

4. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    I have only had 2 air compressers and they both had regulators on them. Don't know what pressure is the best for airbrushing.

5. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

So which models are you guys using? I'm debating on buying something cheap at Harbor freight, or something a little nicer, not sure what is necessary.

6. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    My first one was a Craftsman. Second one I just got is a Brute (farm & fleet) that was on sale I haven't messed with it, use it for Finish nailer and blowing off wood dust. It has a ten gal. tank and a 1.5 hp motor I think.

7. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Sorry, I meant which air brushes.

I've got a Porter Cable 4.5 Gallon compessor that has a regulator on it (just don't know if it'll go low enough). Also have a ViAir in my truck for onboard air or traveling airbrushing (haha, joke).

8. Jeff,
    I bought a Paasche "starter kit" a hobby lobby for about $25. I have a water seperator and regulator on quick connects that I stab on to my existing compressor when airbrushing. I believe I run it at about 20-30psi.

9. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    Paasche

10. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

OK, just picked up this kit.
    http://www.bearair.com/Paasche-2000SA-Hobby-Kit/productinfo/100013/

Is there anything else I need (besides possibly a regulator, and maybe a moisture separator) to get started?

11. Jeff,
    If you live in a low humidity climate, you probably do not need a moisture separator. Assuming you can turn down the pressure on you air comp, A little Lacquer thinner for clean up and you should be good to go.
    Clay

12. Quick connect ends and reducer fitting - if you don't have those lying around.

13. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Thanks Super,
    What is the brass connector size on the airbrush end, so I can get the QD and reducer? It isn't listed on the product description.

14. Let me look when I get home - in thinking about it--------- I had a male quick connect so I needed a short piece of pipe (threaded into the Quick connect) and then the other end into the fitting provided in the kit. Maybe I did not have a reducer. I'll look and let you know.
    Thanks
    Clay

15. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Even cheaper, buy some of the miracle dollar general spray paint that Mike P. talks about on here. Great stuff, if you have to touch up it covers awesome!

16. Jeff,
    3/8 pipe or a male quick connect with male pipe on the other end.

Attached Files:

17. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    I have a hose with moister trap in line made for the airbrush, threads on the bottom of brush. Quick connect on other end. Might be easier, don't remember what I paid. I think I got it though a taxidermy suppy.

Attached Files:

18. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Thanks for the info, fellas, I really appreciate it.