1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For all us idiots That use and Like the auto-tanner !!!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kevin M., Dec 11, 2009.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Hey guys, Not that George needs or desires being defended, but in some of these post he was directly talking to me and for that I am grateful. Though George may rub some the wrong way, I like hearing his veiws on things. Doesn't mean I always agree but often times I do. So, from me to George and Paul and Anna, thanks for the help. I may just decide on getting the autotanner. I'm still undecided. I like the idea in some ways and just not sure yet in other ways.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Anna, you managed to light your own fuse on this one because of Kevin's goading. If you think the two aren't tied directly together, then you must assume that he considers HIMSELF an "idiot". None of us called him that either there or here so his self-appraisal is on him. And regardless of what you say, DP lasts longer than most tans and IF DONE CORRECTLY BY AN ARTISAN look just as good and anything else. And it IS your opinion the customers rely on. I know over the years I've "educated" my customers to see my way in what I do, so unless you're a piss poor business person, you're doing the same thing.

And it was still a dumbass post.

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

So now You are responding to a silly dumbass post. Doesn't say much for you.

4. George

So you have problem reading to go along with the learning disability?

5. I,m using a autotanner from Steve for years now for a few reasons.

No tannery here in Holland.
    It allow me to skip the salting proces (high humidity, we are below sealevel a few miles from the coast).
    It doubles as a great birdtumbler, even nightjar,firecrest, pigeon and woodcock are coming out in one piece.

I use it as a speedpickler, right after skining and spliting.
    After pickle, Liquatan.

Before the autotanner i've lost several fox and roedeer.
    Since the autotanner and some good advice from Bruce Rittel, never lost a cape.

If it is the motion or the high pressure, I don,t care.
    As long it's working.

Ron

6. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Dopey, Just curiuos ? What did Bruce have to say about the tanner?

7. We are talking something like 8 or 10 years ago I think.
    He suspects its more the motion as the presure back then, what does the trick.
    He kind of saved me back then.
    About 50 percent of my foxes suffered from hair loss.
    Now adays 0 percent.
    You will probaply find it on tho old forums.
    Search for Dopey or dopeynl

Ron

8. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Kevin, you are taking all of this WAY TO PERSONAL! I even sent you a Pm, saying that I hoped you took in "a buttload of mounts" this season, and tried to make nice with you, but no response?

I think there is NOTHING wrong with the auto tanner, as far as it serving as a mini-roundrum, to agitate skins. All that pressure, and vacuum stuff, is just window dressing, in my opinion. You want to know what BR thinks about the AT? I will bet, that is his opinion also! I have nothing against Steve R. either. The only thing most folks had a negative response to, was, what was going in the AT chemical wise, and the claims being made, as far as them being a proper tan.

If the makers of these products want to really make some money, they need to produce a GOOD, HIGH QUALITY, poly-round drum, around 50 gallons(holding 25 gallons of any given solution), with a couple of baffles. All the money being spent, to take pressure, and vacuum, would be eliminated. Just build the damn thing, so it doesn't leak! The price could be cut, making it more affordable for the average Joe! Less labor, materials, and time involved in the mfg process. The BASIC CONCEPT of a small round drum was a good idea! THAT ALONE, can speed up the whole process.

One last thing, Kevin. Taxidermists like you, kill me. Arrogant tanners? Are you referring to the same ones that come on here, and give out FREE TANNING INFORMATION? There are a few Taxidermists out there, THAT ACTUALLY APPRECIATE REAL TANNING, and are striving to better there mounts! THEY are also ARROGANT TANNERS, only on a smaller scale. They are always going to tan at home, BUT THEY WANT TO DO IT RIGHT!

Arrogant tanners? Yes, we are the arrogant SOB'S that you send all your bison, cows, cape buffalo, l/s moose, alligators, crocs, hippo, elephant, giraffe, rhino, wooly sheep, eland, and African lions to. The same SOB'S that are tanning THOUSANDS of deer, and other skins, that will actually fit in an AT. There actually is a BIGGER TAXIDERMY WORLD out there, than the one you live in Kevin.

9. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Feel free to call this a sales pitch.

Aubrey it's funny you should say that because that's exactly what I've done. You need to remember that I worked with this machine for years both pressurized and un-pressurized, and in the size of tank that we sold - the pressure makes a profound difference.

However, in a larger diameter tank (85 gallon) that affords more agitation, hides tan just as quickly without the pressure.

The larger diameter tank gives a lot of other benefits - more capacity for tanning in addition to very effective tumbling.

It's not a poly tank however. Not sturdy enough. I have an article coming out in the next Taxidermy Today, but these machines are available now.

Attached Files:

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Ok, if they are available, I would like to know more please.

11. George

Steve, I hate to say this as you might guess, but that thing right there looks as if it has some awesome possibilities for medium sized shops. Good luck.

12. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Thanks man. All the best to you and yours as well.

13. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Steve, NOW YOUR COOKIN WITH GAS! Fiber-glass?

I think I had you all wrong. Maybe you knew a little more than I gave you credit for. :eek:

Have a good one, and good luck with this new venture!

14. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Steve,
    That is a nice piece of equipment, I think if you incorporate that and a system or method of tanning more in line with a commercial recipe you can go far with it. I still feel your auto tanner is nothing more than a stock street car with a chrome air cleaner! I'm glad you are getting away from the pressure / vacuum idea. Rhinehart's has so many new taxidermist believing this is the wave of the future! I think you would gain more by sticking with proven methods instead of " the magic of tanning" I think you would get more experienced established taxidermist buying into your product also.