1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Too controversial?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I'm taking my gasoline, stupid, forest gump, howard stern ass to bed.
    night all

2. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Goodnight Bobbi!

3. SCT

SCT New Member

I started taxidermy to try and portray "beauty" in nature. Some folks have different strokes. Mount it if you want and compete with it if you want. But, in my opinion, no matter how beautiful you make the cat, the piece with the trap included will lack beauty. I've trapped and have friends that trap and see nothing "ugly" in the act of harvesting a fur bearing critter, but, the scene will encourage what I consider "ugly" thoughts such as a healthy animal held by one foot awaiting it's fate. There's only shock value in that scene and to me that's not much value. Good luck, Steve

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Bobbi, don't feel so bad. He makes sure my name is used quite often when hurling insults (and now he'll say "what's that tell you?" :p He's an easy read)). I have learned to ignore his rantings. If belittling people helps him sleep at night I'm good with it. It used to get to me, but I guess I'm used to it.
    There is a guy that walks around our city yelling at people, calling them names, and basically just trying to intimidate people. He's a little disturbed, anyways when he walks our way we learned to just ignore him. Everyone else seems to be scared of him. I think he does it more for the attention, and it pisses him off that he doesn't scare me.

5. Bobbi Meyer

maybe George is a little disturbed ! LOL
    My calling him a narcissist was more of a "clinical obersvation" rather than a personal insult!

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No, I'm not disturbed at all. Goes right along the theme of the pseudo intellectuals.

BTW, never use big words when smaller ones are more clear. If you look up "narcissist" you'll end up losing sleep trying to find examples to justify your "clinical obersvation" (sic). Big words can be tough, can't they? LMAO

Bob, you're not a very goo martyr. I don't even speak to people I don't like. There seems to be only 3 or 4 people on this thread who have consistently defended the tastelessness of that piece. I'm supposing here, but I suppose that if those few had voiced their opinions and moved on, the post would have died as it should have. Remember, the qualities you most dislike in others are those that you, yourself, possess.

7. Bobbi Meyer

Good morning George!
    Hey did you look at the pic on the link I provided earlier in the conversation?
    Just curious as to your thoughts on that mount.

Oh and as far as the narcistic comment....I have some of those qualities myself, so I am VERY familiar with what it means ;D

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO Good morning George.
    I never wanted to be a martyr. I just don't like the feeling of having my hands tied.
    I would have to suppose here too, but those few that moved on most likely didn't want to be insulted so they just moved on.

That's not true. I don't like short fat people :D JK I don't want the short fat people throwing doughnuts at me IT WAS A JOKE :D :D

9. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

anyone seen the movie CON AIR? George reminds me of the line, "THESAURUS BOY", lmao . Love ya George, have a great Holiday.

10. George

Bobbi, to answer your question, I'll refer back to my first explanation of hierarchy of life forms. Birds and fish fit pretty far down on that list for knee jerk offensiveness to most. As for THAT particular mount, I know that it was done for special personal, and likely private, appeal. When I saw it, I though, "My God, with all the talent Greg has in recreating lividity in birds, he's resorted to THIS???" Not impressed (though I will admit that not much about turkeys has ever impressed me a lot.) A mount similar to that was mounted at the Nationals once with a dead deer on the tailgate. It was controversial as well if I recall. That might have been at Richmond, Virginia.

11. Bobbi Meyer

I'm just gonna sum this up..call me stupid or an idiot if you like, but this is MY take and MY take only on this.
    I am solely responsible for the following content.

We see mounted fish with hooks and lines.
    Hurrah says the fishing supply companies, nice mount says us.

We see dead ducks hanging from fenceposts.
    Hurrah says the shotgun companies, nice mount says us.

We see a cat that hasn't stepped into the trap yet.
    Boooooooo says us.

It just seems to be a double standard that some things are acceptable and some are not.
    And in MY opinion almost a slap in the face to the trappers.
    Their world is dark, mysterious and forbidden to look upon.

Of course I would need the input from a trapper so see it from his view point,
    then I may change my position on that.

Yes we can include shotguns shells and fishing lures in some things, but
    speak of a trap and its almost sacrilegious to the taxidermy industry and forbidden.

I understand leaving the trap out of the scene because it might "offend" some puss who comes to visit the show.
    Not that I agree with that, but in order to get his WORK judged, I would leave it out.

Oh and as for the traps being indiscriminate, ever go fishing for bass and catch a perch instead?

Like I said, these are just MY opinion and don't amount to a hill of beans.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Bobbi, Stupid should hurt. LMAO
    George you know I love ya, at least I HOPE you do. I just don't agree with everything you say and you don't agree with everything (OK most of the stuff I say :D) I say. This just happens to be one of those things.

13. Steve Rotramel

Come on George - it's a new day. Start it off fresh with a real apology. We'll love you more for it.

I use the best words available to most precisely communicate the idea. It's a vote of a confidence in the readers that they are going to know what they mean. Don't give me any "never" rules about simple words. You just didn't read it, got yourself worked up, and started throwing insults in every direction.

Bobbi is perfectly correct in her clinical observation. For an old mossy horn narcissist you have very thin (and scarred) skin.

14. George

Bobbi, so you're crying "Life isn't fair." And how old are you? LMAO Using your analogy about the "puss's" of this world, since you seem to want things bundled up, how do you feel about seeing pictures of aborted fetuses and lynchings? That too happens in real life so why avoid the images?

And somehow SOME of you are under the misconception about a piece like that being JUDGED. The last time I checked, it CAN be entered, and it CAN BE JUDGED. It is likely to be prohibited from being PUBLICLY EXHIBITED.

Steve, if you did recant (I didn't go back and read through it all as I would likely find something else that pissed me off) then you do, in fact, have my sincerest apology for not recognizing your catharsis.

Now I'm going to let you have the last punch. Make it a big one. I'm going to TRY to let this one fade away.

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is
    violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”
    Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

"The fate of animals is of greater importance to me
    than the fear of appearing ridiculous;
    it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men."
    - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

15. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Can Any One Validate My Ticket ?????

16. Steve Rotramel

Bobbi I agree with your opinions almost exactly, except that I am one of those pusses who is going to cringe a little at the trap. I believe in trapping. I have no problem or disrespect for the trappers. I just couldn't do it myself. That job is too cold anyway.

I been through some angst about bow hunting. Made some bad shots that caused me a lot of grief. These days I'm not perfect with it but I'm pretty sure that the deer I shoot "never know what hit em". I know my limits and pick the shots pretty carefully.

George I didn't recant anything. Your ballyhooed grasp of the language blew a tire. So I guess you're saying if you didn't read it the first time, why should you go back and read it now?

All truth passes through FOUR stages for George. FIRST, IT IS IGNORED BY GEORGE, then, it is ridiculed. THIRD, it is
    violently opposed. Then, it is accepted as being self-evident, by everyone else - George is happier with denial.”
    Arthur Schopenhauer (edited beyond recognition) (1788-1860)

17. Bobbi Meyer

I never said life isn't fair.

I'm 45

You come into MY house, I am NOT going to change the way I do things.

I will treat you courteously, ask you if you want a glass of tea or something to drink, sit
    and talk or go to the shop to see what I'm working on.....

but I'll be DAMNED if I will remove MY things from MY house as to not offend you.
    You can TAKE THAT TO THE BANK

People buy tickets to OUR shows....why?
    To see DEAD animals recreated...plain and simple.

I'm done...we don't see eye to eye on this and thats OK.
    You can have you opinion and I can have mine.

18. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Well Bobbie...Go back & read what I said about it as a TRAPPER ( I hate it) I believe any other trappers that responded said the same.. Now her is a GREAT idea for YOU. Do a mount with an animal in or almost in a trap. Display that mount proudly in YOUR showroom. Then when the first wife sees it & costs you a mount & it could happen wirh guys too, tell us how proud you are of your handiwork. Perhaps you could use an image of it in your advertising or business cards. Be sure to let us know how that works out for you too.

19. Bobbi Meyer

so as a trapper you are ashamed?
    Thats almost how it comes across?
    I wouldn't mount one like that for the showroom I don't have, simply because thats not my thing, but I'm not going to tell someone else they shouldn't do it if it floats their boat.

20. outhawkn

outhawkn New Member

Bobbi, it is indeed a double standard. But a fish with a hook in its mouth for some reason doesnt appear to be as harmful as a trap. a duck hanging from a fence post doesnt do much either. But a mammal somehow stirs up emotions in the non-hunting world. I suppose because they are soft and furry..I dont know. I do know that some of my neighbors enjoy when I unload my truck from a day on the trap-line. Other are repulsed (sp). They tell me so. I have started un-loading my catch in the back yard. problem solved. No big deal for me really. I shouldnt have to but if it doesnt rile the natives..it makes life easier for me. I have said it before, if this mount was for a private collection then go for it. But IF this mount wins a competition it will immediately be on the internet. And trapping is under fire in so many states, I just cant understnd why a person would go out of their way to antagonize the anti/non-trapping crowd. So if this mount should bring about a public outcry, all of you who are supporting this very bad idea, are going to send in your life's saving to fix the problem you've created? Why cant some of you understand the concept of not spitting into the wind.......
    Its a bad idea,plain and simple. But I'm beating my head against a brick wall here so I'll go play on another thread....