1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Too controversial?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

2. Randy Miller

coonhollow
    Gold Member

Thats Just Wrong!

Re: Too controversial?
    « Reply #74 on: Today at 05:56:35 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Redwolf on Today at 05:48:59 PM
    I'm not grasping. I'm telling it like I see it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

thats not always true, a gander would have a hell of a time laying a egg!

ROTFLMAO, that answer from someone with THAT avitar? Too funny!! :D 8)

3. 3w

3w Member

This for the most part has been a great discusion i hope we can learn more from it .I have had to deal with the antis face to face and i tell you ,you can win if you fight with your brain and not with a bad in your face temper,remember most don't understand about wild life and hunting it and they out number us,so lets use or heads when our work go public.

4. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Randy, that is exactly why the goose and gander statement isnt always true! im sure tht poor buck in the middle is smiling on one cheek, and crying about the other!

5. Randy Miller

From where I sit aint no "doe" worth that! ;D

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

thats a fact! thats why being last is always the best option...that way nobody is pokin you and tellin you to hurry up!

7. Bangle

Bangle New Member

But then it's sloppy seconds...lol

8. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

thats better than hemeroid first's....

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Zi-YSW3aQ

10. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Bobcats are very easy to catch , do not need to cover the trap much at all , it is hard to get there attention and keep there interest long enough to get caught . That is a trail set , you would want it covered along with stepping guides as any other animal can come along also . Naturally you have to see the trap in this mount to understand what's being portrayed . The organizations against hunting & trapping will always find something to complain about , if not they will make create something, it is more about money & recognition then anything but effects us all . I like the mount and say go for it ,it creates interest and would be very pleasing to look at . That's a Beautiful mount of that rottie John !!

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Trapperr, just a few days ago, you voiced concern that your taxidermy work get validation. It did and the work looked exceptional, but then why would you imply that only "antis and animal rights groups" object to this depiction? Rick Carter, John Bellucci and others (yes me) said that the mount was not in good taste. We are not AR or anti. There's a much bigger picture here that supposing you as a trapper are missing. There's another NTA and THEY are very careful in their public depiction of such things as well.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yes, and as far as I'm concerned they've been caving too.

I've been biting my tongue about how I REALLY feel about this whole thing out of respect for the old timers, and I know I'll get blasted for it, but it gets to the point where some things have to be said. For decades nobody has stood up to any of the nay sayers. They let public opinion control the way taxidermy was done, what is "acceptable", and what wasn't.
    It happens with everything. There was a time when rock n roll was just an idea and some bands and singers didn't cave and stood up to the ones that called it devils music and did it anyways. People got over it. And God forbid someone tries to tell us what guns are and aren't acceptable.
    I see no difference here. I love taxidermy, and being creative. If someone looks at a mount that has a trap incorporated into it, and thinks it's "immoral" then they need to be slapped into reality. That animal was trapped and dispatched just like the ducks hanging dead with shotgun shells incorporated into it, or the fish mount that is jumping trying to throw a hook.

However, I want it to be know that I DO respect the fact that some don't agree. We can't all agree on everything.

13. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

"Public" opinion is obviously different in different places. If it wasn't for TV, internet and news, I wouldn't know what an anti was. Never met one locally. Hunting and trapping are not only acceptable but deemed necessary to the local economy here. This is probably why Wyoming has no 'rule' against traps in competition and will even give special awards to mounts depicted with traps. Montana, however, has a tremendous liberal influence in the West, mostly from California. Which is why our association would not allow a trapped mount. The East is very conservative and commom sense. The West...well... they get naked and bark at the moon out there. Dusty Harvey never caught any flack at all for his fox mount until....the pics hit the internet. At home he received praise and was judged for his taxidermy skills and not for what he depicted.

14. Randy Miller

There it is.

15. You're thinking out of the box, and alot fo people here seem to be trying to shove you back into the box and shut your opinion, and artistic voice up.

If you want to enter it into a competition, YOU CAN, that doesn't mean that it won't be disqualified or something. But atleast you tried! The worth that they can do is say 'no'.

There's nothing wrong with putting something man-made into the mount, we're animals too.
    I think the pose is a bit strange for 'stepping into a trap', but if you like it, and are happy, who am I to tell you you're wrong?

Just go for it. If nothing else, you're proud of your work. :)

16. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Well said, Bob! We have our own opinions and thats what makes us all different, Just like us being "terminally stupid" is an opinion. I have never been to a compitition and for that I will admit Im ignorant. But what I dont get is, ( and again I may be wrong),if these shows are open to the public then I would think the public that goes to see these shows would either: A. have an interest in the industry, or B. just show up to raise hell about the type of displays that are there(anti's). Me personnally IF I dont like the type of music on the radio I turn the station. And I dont like the Ballet so im not gonna waste my money for a ticket to go see it. As far as doing this for competition I say , Fine, but I agree that it would be distasteful to put on a magazine cover for all the people who dont want to see it, see. To me It is a respect thing because there are people out there that dont want to see it, and if they dont , then dont pay the money for a ticket to the show.

17. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

This has been an interesting read...
    I can see both sides of the argument..
    Strange thing is that some are worried about the depiction of the animal, and how it would be seen by the public...
    no one has given any thought to the fact that the animal is ALREADY DEAD or would not be mounted...
    just sort of ironic.

18. Randy Miller

Ok, the original question was "is it too controversial for competition".

Controversy; contention, an argument or debate. Webster. This thread has gone to 7 pages in less than 24 hours. By definition, it's controversial.

For competition- Well for some it is and some it's not. Like I said before, enter where it is not an issue.
    To those who say go ahead and enter even though they don't allow such mounts is simply asinine. No matter where you go in life, there are rules to the game. Why attempt to force your way into someplace you aren't welcome? You'll just end up looking like a fool. Find out the rules of the game you are playing.

If I want to go drink at a bar, I'm not going into the neighborhood and bar where I'm the only white guy, get it? THEY DON'T WANT ME THERE!

19. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I agree Bobbi, it has been a good read. I would probably not do a mount like that myself. But as far as public opinion and anti-hunters go, I do not think the anti-hunter/anti-trapping group is going to like any of the mounts at the show because trap or no trap they are all dead animals, and they don't agree with killing them for human use regardless of the means of taking them. But mounting an animal with a trap like that is kind of like putting the buck on the hood of your truck and driving around town.........needlessly pissing off folks who may not have a strong opinion either way. I have mixed feelings on this because part of me hates changing how I act and hiding what I do as a hunter and trapper like it is weird or wrong. I almost feel ashamed of being a trapper.....and that is just wrong. Maybe a mount of a coyote running off with some rich womans poodle in it's mouth would make a good argument for trapping..........

20. Randy Miller

LMAO, Marty.