1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear teeth seem to be breaking

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Bard, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Bard

Bard New Member

??? My daughter shot a real nice bear last spring, we had it cleaned, degrease, and bleached for a Euro Mount. We have noticed some of the teeth seem to be cracked and one of the main canine has broken. I know the man who did the skull had to degrease a second time and uses a degrease much stronger than what can normally be bought. Is this normal, and what can I do to prevent anymore breaking.

Thank you for your time.

Craig

2. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    Craig, from what I have read in the old post on here is that teeth usually crack from temp. change during the process of cleaning, degreasing and whitening. I'm still pretty new at this and never experienced this myself. Do a search and you will find more info and some ways to repair them.

3. Bard

Bard New Member

Thank you, I just noticed the problem and ran to the sight, knowing someone could point me in the right direction.

Craig

4. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    Your welcome.

5. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

It usually happens when the temp gets above the boiling point. They are tough to degrease and someone might have tried to boil the grease out.

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Canines will split and crack sometimes no matter what you do. Too much humidity, not enough or too dry. Not necessarily the way it was prepared but just over time. Best you can do is glue the pieces back and seal the teeth with clear fingernail polish. Even better if you can remove the teeth to seal. I use paraloid and use it sparingly on canines. Hot and cold, dry and wet are enemies to hollow teeth.

7. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

RD Martin X2

8. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

They WILL crack no matter what you do. Your only possible solution is to coat them with a good clear epoxy and then cross your fingers. I've left them in a skull to loosen up on their own, no heating involved, only to find them laying in a drawer split in two pieces, after I stored the there.. The only luck that I've had a keeping them in one piece, is to soak them in mineral oil for MONTHS(some have been in the oil for years) and they seem to stay together.

9. outdoorman

outdoorman New Member

Its been said on here that there are two types of canine teeth. Those that have cracked and those that will. I believe that completely.

10. having had many a tooth split on me i've learned my lesson: seal them with paraloid as soon as possible BEFORE they split. we'll see if that prevents it.

11. Littlejoe1973

Littlejoe1973 New Member

where do you get paraloid?

12. Bard

Bard New Member

Thanks again for the good advice, I can see I have a lot of reading to do, and hope I can prevent any more breakage by sealing. I appreciate how many people are willing to share and help. I hope to preserve my daughters first big game skull, so she can pass the tradition on to her kids.

Craig

13. http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/consemp/catalog/coating.html#l

14. dead link above

15. they seem to have changed their site a bit:
    http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/scat/co.html

(have to scroll down now, to paraloid b-72).

eta: that link is the info link, but if you want to buy just look in their store for this link:
    http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/Detail.bok?no=703

16. I have never had cracked teeth with any species. No matter what kind animal we are talking about the teeth will possibly break one day within 20 yrs if you just let them dry(after degreasing, whitening...) without any treatment. After boiling I pull all teeth out put them through this process and glue them back after whitening, before the skull is dry.
    Teeth will keep the nice natural colour and will never break. It's a bit more work but it's also good to keep clients happy. In process you must first take all the moisture out from teeth and then replace it with something else. I use denatured alcohol and melt paraffin.
    I've used this method over ten years without any problems and no complainig customers. I must charge bit more but still everybody are happy when trophies last longer.

17. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    chit, one time and only time its happened so far i had beetle cleaned a coyote and the canines cracked/split on me just after i had taken it out of the bug tank, before any degreasing. figure that one out. :-\

18. Extreme temp changes make them crack to, learned sometime ago to not go from cold to extremely warm or from extremely warm to cold.. I try to keep things at the same temps through out the process, of course i still have some crack or split but not like i did in the beginning of this learning process.. of course I'm still learning as well which is a good thing..