1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would this deer score? s.c. deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ayhunter, Dec 15, 2009.

1. OK Alton..128 :),,

2. BeachBuck

BeachBuck New Member

130 for sure

3. bigbucks

bigbucks Member

That Deer is 130 at a minimum. double the small side at 5 1/2" G1, 5" G2, 8" G3, 3" G4, 22" inch Main Beam, Give him 14" Mass and add on 18 inch spread. Dont know where some of you are getting 120 to 125. Just my two cents worth. Nice pretty Deer regardless.

4. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

127.25 kill it and let us know. I like this game!

5. 14inc mass one side so 28 mass 137 gross 134 net

6. JohnB

JohnB Member

I'm thinking would gross 135ish.

7. Deer does not go 18" inside and Beams are not near 22", that alone will drop him to the mid 120's. That deer would only go around 175lbs or so being from the south, can throw you off.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dennis, methinks you're selling the deer short based on categorizatrion. MOST deer down that way DON'T get that big, but some surely do. I have a 166 from down there to prove it. The inside spread is at least two inches outside both ear tips so it's tough not to think that's an 18 inch spread. Tine length, based of probably a 7 inch face also means they're a bit longer than he's being dredited with. I still say mid-130's

9. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    My 2 cents worth was 135 the first time I glanced at him. I agree you should kill him now and end the debate, LOL!

10. Not on catagoration, just living and hunting the south. Sure every now and then or on strictly managed land you will get a big one but the % is low. I have taken allot of deer in SC over the years and was giving my opinion. I also deal with some ranches that have hunts and have to make sure clients don't shoot out of their wallet, so I tend to not go with the high side. ;)

11. ayhunter

ayhunter New Member

S.C.
    I beg to differ Dennis, 1st of all weight doesn't determine antler score(I saw a buck personally this year shot off public land that score 142 & change that only weight 168lbs) 2nd, yea the average weight of a mature southern buck is 165-185lbs at least in my area but its not rare to shoot one over 200,there was 2 shot in my hunt camp this year! The buck in the trail cam would be damn close based on some of the deer I shot here, as for score I think he would suprise ya!! But we'll probably never know because like I said before I have very few daytime photos of him! The little amount of land I have I dint have access to his bedding area!The neighbors are dicks! If I hunted him at night it would probably be easy but I dint play that game!!!

12. I beg to differ Dennis, 1st of all weight doesn't determine antler score(I saw a buck personally this year shot off public land that score 142 & change that only weight 168lbs) 2nd, yea the average weight of a mature southern buck is 165-185lbs at least in my area but its not rare to shoot one over 200,there was 2 shot in my hunt camp this year! The buck in the trail cam would be damn close based on some of the deer I shot here, as for score I think he would suprise ya!! But we'll probably never know because like I said before I have very few daytime photos of him! The little amount of land I have I dint have access to his bedding area!The neighbors are dicks! If I hunted him at night it would probably be easy but I dint play that game!!!
    [/quote]

The weight factor was brought up because it will effect how big the rack looks in relation to the deers body size. If that rack was on a Midwestern deer or a northern deer it would seem smaller than it looks on your deer. I allready said every now and then a big deer will show, but Not the norm as you agreed to. You know of two deer that were over 200. I know you know of many moore that were not. It really doesn't matter what the score is, just a number. If you think he is 130" then that's fine. I'm not going to change my opinion, and that's fine as well. Shoot him and we will all know for sure. ;)

13. flesher

flesher New Member

Id guess 133

14. the deer is not 120 its in the 130 class the buck my budy got on cam is 132 6/8 net with a 18 inc spreed his kids seen the left rack on a bike trail in may. 57 3/8 left side

Attached Files:

• bu.jpg
      bu.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:
  15. Thanks for proving my point Stephen. ;) If the deer in your pic was 132", then the SC deer is closer to what I guessed in my first post " around 125". The SC deer was bigger last year if the pic IS of the same deer. Your contesting only a few inches anyway. ::)

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dennis, I see your point and this is a moot discussion anyway since we can only speculate, but even YOU should know that SEVEN INCHES in trophy scoring is NOT "just a few inches".

17. LOL, goodness. He originally posted " maybe 130's"? He wasn't even sure then. Now everyone knows to the inch what he is. ::) Your right though George, it is a moot point and we are just guessing. I guess around 125" and stick by it. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong or right. ;)

18. Derrin

Derrin New Member

He has no mass, and not much tine length. I'd say no higher that 125,if that. Not being negative, just looking at the pic, that's it!!

19. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

It's a TEN. Guarantee it's high 130s,low140s.