1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would this deer score? s.c. deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ayhunter, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ayhunter

ayhunter New Member

S.C.

The weight factor was brought up because it will effect how big the rack looks in relation to the deers body size. If that rack was on a Midwestern deer or a northern deer it would seem smaller than it looks on your deer. I allready said every now and then a big deer will show, but Not the norm as you agreed to. You know of two deer that were over 200. I know you know of many moore that were not. It really doesn't matter what the score is, just a number. If you think he is 130" then that's fine. I'm not going to change my opinion, and that's fine as well. Shoot him and we will all know for sure. ;)
    [/quote]I see your piont about racks looking bigger on smaller body deer but Im just going by what I exsperience with the deer in my area! Heres a pic of a deer I mounted last year.(sc deer) He grossed around 126, he mite have a little more mass but he s a 8pt, you cant tell me that the 10pt in the trail cam pic is smaller! Im not all hung up on score either as a hunter I started this thred just see when everyone thaught.I guess over 130s I mite be wrong! Im sure youve been around more deer than I have,and I respect that! I'll do my best to kill him and settle all this! ;D

Attached Files:

2. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

it's very similar to the 10 point that I have hanging on my wall and if memory serves me correctly, it scored 123. Very nice symetrical rack, no mass to speak of.
    Your brow tines are longer so I'll throw my hat in the ring and say 126

3. I think the 8 has more mass to, he also is longer in the main beams and his three's are allmost long enough to make up for the short 2's and fours on the ten. I think both deer are about the same score, around 125". ::) :D

4. Brian26

Brian26 New Member

I fixed this rack recently and it scored 134 and change. It looks pretty close to the one in the trail photos so I would say it would score anywhere from 125 to upper 130's, just hard to tell from a photo though.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4972/49490754.jpg

5. craigjw

craigjw http://www.back2lifetaxidermy.com

Definately more than 125

5" G1 = 10
    6" G2 = 12
    8" G3 = 16
    4" G4 = 8
    spread 17
    main beams 21" = 42
    circ shoulud average 3.5 = 28

I think this is pretty conservative and adds up to 133.

6. timstaxidermy

timstaxidermy Member

i measure for the book here in canada and would say hes in the 140s before deductions.
    helps with the 10 point rack and brow tines are fairly long. looks like about 20-22 inch inside.
    nice deer for sure.

7. Dude, I need you to measure my next buck!LOL! ;)

This deer scored 138" as an 8. There is no way this SC deer is even close. This deer has a 19" inside spread. ::)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. must be metric no bigger than 125 jmo

9. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I dont see 138 there.......pics are hard to judge though without seeing it in person......nice buck for sure. The trail cam buck i would say 130-140

10. Good grief......I give up. LOL

11. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

140gross and 134net. ;)

12. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

13. I'm going with 123. I have done a few 10 points that measure 130 to 135 and the tine length is much longer on them.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dennis, I'm sorry, but I don't see a 138 there either. Who scored that thing? I have a 143 that I took in Saskatchewan that would make two of that spindly thing. And that's GROSS score.

Attached Files:

15. George, I scored it, and it is gross also. I score them correctly and often for ranches that I work for. I use a cable for length and tape for circumference and width. As i said before we can go on with posting pic's forever to try and prove a point but I allready gave up on this dead horse that continues to be beaten. If you think that the deer you posted makes two of the deer I posted then the deer in the trail cam pick is surely not over 130".

That is a small deer for Canada, but I'm sure you thought it was bigger when you shot it. ;) Nice brow tines though.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No, actually I knew what I was shooting. The deer weighed 325 pounds on the hoof and seeing the mount alone is a bit misconceiving. It's mounted on the largest form McKenzie sells (mounted by Richard Christoforo). I had a dozen 10's and 2 12's walking around the bait site, but when this guy stepped out, he was JUST what I wanted to show what a Canadian deer looks like. I first thought he was a 6 because he was facing me and the G-2 and G-3 looked like single points. I wouldn't have shot him if he'd been a 6 but when he turned his head slightly, the handheld video went off and the .300 Win Mag came up. http://saskoutfitter.com/2003_deer.htm

17. Just ribbing you George. The deer I posted was a deer from a ranch here in FL that I work with. He was estimated at 6yrs old and weighed 265lbs. Of coarse it is from northern genetics and was brought here as a younger deer from another ranch the owner has in WI. I'm not an official scorer but do what I and the guy's that have me score these deer for them feel is a good job with it. These deer are double checked by two people to assure that they are as correct as possible because of the price they put on these deer, witch as you know can be a bit ridiculous. ::) The first score from the owner was just under 140 and I got 138 and some change. Hard to beat the body size of those Canadian brutes. :)

18. I as Dennis score for different ranches. I'm not an official scorer but work closely with someone who is. I also picture score around a hundred a year for our ranch and two neighboring ranches. I'm usually within 2" to 4" when supplied a straight on and broadside photo. Our mature deer usually have a 7 to 71/4" eye to nose and that is what I base my photo scoring on. AyHunter has a couple on good photos for scoring. I came up with 129" with a 7" eye to nose. I do believe the buck has 21" main beams and a 17" spread. The longest time is around 7". Bases to g2's-9" g2's to tip 12" =21 mains. 5"-g1's. The 2's and 4's kill him. Good shooter buck. IMO he is a 129" buck on 140" frame, just no time length. Opinions are like you know whats. Doesn't really matter what he scores now. If you kill him next year post some game cam photos for us to score before you let us know you have him on the ground.

19. Badboy 28

Badboy 28 New Member

i d say low 130s
    depends who scores it

20. ayhunter

ayhunter New Member

S.C.
    Ok, heres another ;D This buck is from the same area as the 10pt,only have pics in velvet what does he score? This buck is down I have the rack so I know the score! ;) (gross not net)

Attached Files:

• taxi.JPG
      taxi.JPG
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views: